cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of cleaning credit before Discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pros and Cons of cleaning credit before Discharge?

Filed CH7 2/13/15. Currently waiting discharge and wondering should I try to start to clean my credit report now or wait for my discharge. I have read mixed decisions. Also if I decided to start cleaning credit reports, will the agency clear everything without discarge papers?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Pros and Cons of cleaning credit before Discharge?

I'm an advocate for it...

A pro is that if you need a loan right after discharge, it will pay off to have a clean (as best as you can) credit report. I needed an auto loan shortly after so I did what I could prior to discharge to help.

A con is that some lenders simply don't update the report until after discharge. Some of mine didn't no matter how many times I disputed it.

But, I would.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im curious what you mean by, "Cleaning your report"

Message 3 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

Agree with redsox to the fullest!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I would not bother with it until 30 days after discharge. I actually started checking for accurate reporting 60 days after my ch7 discharge.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely would like to follow the 700 in 24 plan and also purchase a new viechile after discharge. Hopefully I will have some luck with the credit bureaus.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a particular reason why you waited until 30 after discharge?
Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a particular reason why you waited until 30 after discharge?

Gives creditors time to report IIBK after they have been notified. Like REDSOX said, they don't HAVE to update until discharge

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.