Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing an appliance after 341?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchasing an appliance after 341?

We are (still) waiting to file our ch 7. Our attorney told us not to purchase anything major until after our 341. It looks like our fridge is gonna take a dump any time here. So, can we buy a new one right after our mtg or do we have to wait until after discharge? Technically it's still working... it's just making loud noises and freezing things at the bottom. We have had the repair man out twice and he essentially said that he would get a new one. I'm just not into waiting until I wake up with a puddle on the floor and a fridgeful of questionable food. TIA!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Purchasing an appliance after 341?

I'm sure you would be OK to buy one the day after you file, but I would suggest holding out till after discharge if you can. It's only four months generally, and will eliminate any potential issues.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 2 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

We are (still) waiting to file our ch 7. Our attorney told us not to purchase anything major until after our 341. It looks like our fridge is gonna take a dump any time here. So, can we buy a new one right after our mtg or do we have to wait until after discharge? Technically it's still working... it's just making loud noises and freezing things at the bottom. We have had the repair man out twice and he essentially said that he would get a new one. I'm just not into waiting until I wake up with a puddle on the floor and a fridgeful of questionable food. TIA!

How long have you been waiting? Why is the attorney not filing your Ch 7?

It will be 4 months from whatever date is filed and it really is a bad idea to buy anything during the pendancy of your Ch 7, but if your refrigertor dies, then you have to have a fridge. Hopefully you can save enough cash under your allowed exemptions to buy one.

Message 3 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

You can rent a refrigerator at one of the furniture rent to own places, Google it. Usually a rip off rate, but a couple months rental would be a good solution to not upsetting your trustee vs. finding a puddle on the floor in the morning. 

Message 4 of 19
krielly
Established Contributor

You can always run it by your attorney, of course, but I don't see replacing a refrigerator as a major issue. It is a necessity, not a luxury item. And we're talking a few hundered, not thousands of dollars.....

That being said, I wouldn't put one on a credit card or finance it in any way.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 5 of 19
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

Don't know your area, but Craigslist, generally, has a lot of appliances for free and for very low prices. I got a free fridge, in fact, and have seen fridges for $50.

Message 6 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

@krielly wrote:

You can always run it by your attorney, of course, but I don't see replacing a refrigerator as a major issue. It is a necessity, not a luxury item. And we're talking a few hundered, not thousands of dollars.....

That being said, I wouldn't put one on a credit card or finance it in any way.

hrmmmm, have you shopped for a decent fridge lately? more like 1k to 2k.

i would just pray it lasts the 4 months and wait it out. gl

Message 7 of 19
krielly
Established Contributor

Just bought a brand new standard size no-frills fridge on sale from Sears for my tenants a couple of months ago for $499.

Yes, much more can be spent (as with anything), but if you are in the financial position of having to file BK (no judgment, just saying), you probably don't need a 1K - 2K fridge.

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 8 of 19
bstone
Frequent Contributor

I like the idea of RTO.  Places like Aaron's offer 120 days same as cash.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are going to wait it out and hope it doesn't dieSmiley Happy

Someone asked above why we are waiting. It's actually a little annoying because our attorneys office seems to be very busy. I have sent pretty much everything they have asked for months ago.... To the point that I think it has been long enough we will need to have additional (more current) paperwork etc. Our first meeting was in September of last year. They seemed very eager to help us and very quick to reply to questions etx until recently. We have been paid in full for a couple of months so I would like them to get te show on the road so to speak.

Also we haven't used a credit card or anything since last August and all are closed now so we will be saving and like I said hoping for the best with our current one.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.