Did you mean: 

Purchasing an appliance after 341?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Purchasing an appliance after 341?

@Anonymous wrote:
We are going to wait it out and hope it doesn't dieSmiley Happy

Someone asked above why we are waiting. It's actually a little annoying because our attorneys office seems to be very busy. I have sent pretty much everything they have asked for months ago.... To the point that I think it has been long enough we will need to have additional (more current) paperwork etc. Our first meeting was in September of last year. They seemed very eager to help us and very quick to reply to questions etx until recently. We have been paid in full for a couple of months so I would like them to get te show on the road so to speak.

Also we haven't used a credit card or anything since last August and all are closed now so we will be saving and like I said hoping for the best with our current one.

That's not a good sign. I would be firm with them, waiting is hurting your credit even more. I would tell them to file within XXX amount of time (weeks at the most), and if they're too busy then refund your money in full and you'll find another attorney who isn't too busy to take care of his clients.

Message 11 of 19
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Dave is right. There is no reason it should take that long to file, unless there is concern about income or something and they are waiting for a specific six month income window. If that's the case you should be advised though.

We paid the fees and our attorney was ready to file two or three days later. Our delay was us not getting the pre-file counseling done.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to get ahold of them again today. Last week they told me they would get everything in my file together and give me a time line but I haven't heard from them. The annoying part of the whole thing is that prior to being paid in full they had been very good about responding to emails and questions in a very timely manner.... maybe it is just busier now but it seems ironic that now that we are paid in full we aren't getting responses?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and regarding our prefile counseling.... we did ours and submitted all of that just prior to our final payment. The assistant contacted me a few days later with concern that it may expire before we file?? Maybe that should have been my red flag? I don't know. Ugh

Message 14 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, big red flag if she said your prefile counseling would expire before they file the Bk.  Sounds like you are using one of those large Bk firms that have a constant turn around with paralegals and a bunch of new attorney's.  This is not a good sign at all that you have paid up in full and two months later you haven't been filed by the attorney yet. Check out their reviews now if you haven't already.

Do as Dave suggests. You are much more patient that I would have been.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They actually only have two attorneys and one has been there since 1978 lol. They do have two assistants also (one of whom I've primarily been dealing with). She indicated they were busy but that our file was the next one for her to go through (but that was a week ago). We shopped around quite a bit, read reviews, met with three attorneys and this one really seemed the most competent and passionate (not that my initial encounter necessarily means a whole lot). Before recently they have both been very timely with responses.... Like I would send an email and get a response from them within hours. I sent the attorney an email directly on Friday and was very specific. If I don't hear from her by monday I'll call themSmiley Happy
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update that everything is set. I have my final phone interview with our attorney next wednesday and we will be filed shortly after that. They indicated that pretty much after the phone interview they go through the file again to make sure everything is set (and they collect anything additional the attorney may request) and then they can get us filed. Seems like it has taken forever... Oh and apparently we completely our pre bk course on Nov 14. I didn't realize it had been that long. So, I guess it makes sense that they were concerned about it potentially expiring. Hoping we are good to go before May 14 so we don't have to complete it again!

Message 17 of 19
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Six months to file is asinine!  Did they provide any logical explanation for the ridiculous delay?

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that six months seems ridiculous. But in their defense we were not paid in full until feb. We anticipated being able to pay way before that which is why we went ahead with the prefile counseling. We had some issues with our car as well as a few other things come up suddenly (including visiting my sister in the hospital out of state after a failed suicide attempt)... that put us behind so it took us longer to pay the attorney in full. 

That said.... after that they indicated they moved their office which put them behind several weeks.... I am not thrilled with the fact none of those things were disclosed until we expressed concern with the amt of time it was taking. Now, they are very apologetic and they are "caught up" 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.