cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Husband vs Wife Credit and Repair

tag
Magicdog59

Question on Husband vs Wife Credit and Repair

We filed personal BK and received our discharge about a month ago. We are going through the credit repair process outlined at the top of this forum.

My scores: 590 and 549 (no score from TransUnion). 

Wife's scores: 690, 713, and 691.

The BK was due to a business failure. We had no credit issues prior to the BK and paid everything on time (no lates or high balances--we almost never used our cards and paid everything in cash), both for the business and our personal finances. The only problem we had was with the business loan.

Questions:

1. In trying to repair our credit, one of the first things the credit repair process says to do is to apply for a Credit One card. Should that be for me alone, or both of us together (my card but list the wife as authorized borrower)?

2. I haven't read the entire forum. The process lists going to get a One Nevada Credit Union Credit Builder loan. We're in northern CA. What are the CA-based options for us that others have found?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Luftty
Established Member

Re: Question on Husband vs Wife Credit and Repair

Hello:

Check your local credit unions, i noticed that medium to large credit unions usually offer the credit builder loans, also if you cant get the credit one card you could apply for the credit unions secured credit card, along with the credit builder loans. 

I wont apply for the credit one card just because the fees are outrageous compared to my credit union secured card once my BK is discharged.  Although my credit might build slower with the secured card.

Message 2 of 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Question on Husband vs Wife Credit and Repair

I would avoid credit one at all cost!! Both of you could qualify for capital one. They are bk friendly. Are uoir reports in order? Meaning, any accounts that were IIB should be showing $0 bal/ IIB on reports. Your wife's scores are awesome just out of bK! Ate those true Fico scores pulled here at myfico or somewhere else? If its somewhere else, they aren't true Fico.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.