cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickly approved for car loan and credit card post Ch 7 discharge!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quickly approved for car loan and credit card post Ch 7 discharge!!

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share my story.

I had to file for ch 7 because of a failed business partnership. I got my Ch 7 discharge in Nov 2014.

I kept getting Capital 1 (C1) credit card offers few months before my discharge. I was in a hurry to rebuild my credit to pre-bankruptcy level, 780, so I applied for unsecured C1 CC 1 month before my discharge and I was approved for $3K at 19% (ouch!).

A few days after I got my discharge I decided to buy my dream car which I had held off for a long time until my business would get going. I applied for a $40K loan through C1 after reading good reviews here. I didn't expect to get approved so soon after my discharge, and I was expecting a high interest (10% - 16%) in case I was. To my surprise I was approved for the loan wiith an interest of 5.25% (60 months)!!! Whoohooo!! The interest rate went down to 4% if I opted for a 36 months term.

I make $130K a year and my transunion score was 696 (I didn't pull my fico score) when I applied so I think that definitely helped as well as my excellent credit before I filed. I have never been late on any CC or loans so I guess that must have played a part too.

I wanted to give someone else some hope and info, just like this forum has given me, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it could be a lot closer than you think Smiley Wink

Thanks,

Paul

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quickly approved for car loan and credit card post Ch 7 discharge!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share my story.

I had to file for ch 7 because of a failed business partnership. I got my Ch 7 discharge in Nov 2014.

I kept getting Capital 1 (C1) credit card offers few months before my discharge. I was in a hurry to rebuild my credit to pre-bankruptcy level, 780, so I applied for unsecured C1 CC 1 month before my discharge and I was approved for $3K at 19% (ouch!).

A few days after I got my discharge I decided to buy my dream car which I had held off for a long time until my business would get going. I applied for a $40K loan through C1 after reading good reviews here. I didn't expect to get approved so soon after my discharge, and I was expecting a high interest (10% - 16%) in case I was. To my surprise I was approved for the loan wiith an interest of 5.25% (60 months)!!! Whoohooo!! The interest rate went down to 4% if I opted for a 36 months term.

I make $130K a year and my transunion score was 696 (I didn't pull my fico score) when I applied so I think that definitely helped as well as my excellent credit before I filed. I have never been late on any CC or loans so I guess that must have played a part too.

I wanted to give someone else some hope and info, just like this forum has given me, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it could be a lot closer than you think Smiley Wink

Thanks,

Paul

.Thanks For Sharing.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also discharged in Nov '14 and got a auto loan from CapOne...although you got a much better rate than I did, 8.5%. I was still glad to have that kind of rate instead of 15% the dealership wanted to give me.

Message 3 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Wow!! Congrats!! Don't go crazy on getting CC like we all did and waste HP for nothing.?do it right.get maybe one more card that you know you can get, ( read these forums) and then garden those. You're off to a great start!!Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bk was discharged yesterday, and I applied today with cap one, but was denied. Maybe its to early, and my report hasn't updated?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bankruptcy was discharged on 11/26/14 and I kept getting pre approval letters from capital one. I applied today for 2 capital one cards and was approved for both. I would like a 3 rd line of credit but it's looking like I may need to go to my credit union for that. My husband was also approved for 2 capital one cards today too.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update, I decided to apply through the dealer for a larger loan since the Captial One loan was not enough (max $40K) to buy the car I wanted.

I was approved for a $61K loan through Wells Fargo. I'm putting $10K down and the interest rate is 5.5% for 72 months. I'll try to refinance with my credit union as soon as possible since they are offering 1.5%.

I was not approved for any loans through my existing CU which is disappointing since they have access to my income and expenditures!

I really think my excellent credit history prior to bankruptcy could be the difference as well as my income.

Good luck to everyone!!

Message 7 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Glad things are working out well for you.

Just curious .... what car is your dream car?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

2013 BMW M3

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.