Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECEIVED DISCHARGE PAPERS FROM BK COURT

tag
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

RECEIVED DISCHARGE PAPERS FROM BK COURT

ME AND MY WIFE RECEIVED OUR DISHCHARGE PAPERS THE SAME WEEK OF OUR DISCHARGE. WE WENT TO THE BK COURT AND PICKED UP OUR PAPERWORK INSTEAD OF WAITING THROUGH THE MAIL.  MY QUESTION IS HOW FAST CAN I GO OUT AND LOOK FOR A CAR AND START TO APPLY FOR CREDIT EVEN THOUGHT I DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE PAPERWORK THRU THE MAIL.  ALSO, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE BUREAUS TO BE UPDATED THAT WE HAVE BEEN DISCHARGED?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
credit911
Contributor

Re: RECEIVED DISCHARGE PAPERS FROM BK COURT

I would wait at least 60 days after you receive the discharge paperwork. Then I would pull a copy of your credit report from all 3 bureaus and check to make sure everything is accurate. You will be suprised what you will see on your credit report. In my opinion it's best to make sure this is correct before applying for any new credit.
Message 2 of 4
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

What if I'm in dying need of a vehicle. Me and my wife have no transportation right now and I've only being applying for a car loans after I received my discharge paperwork.  By the way I did my car loan shopping within the 14 day timeframe that is suggested for car loan shopping since it will be only looked at as only one inquiry.  I have not been applying for anymore more credit(cc or personal loans).  I have no open lines of credit right now and don't won't to make the same mistakes again as I did in the past but, I know I have to re-establish and I desparately need a car for me and my family!!! What do I do?

Message 3 of 4
credit911
Contributor

If you need to do something for you and your family then I would say do what you have to do. Get the car now, but remember to still pull your credit reports to check for accuracy about 60 days after the discharge to see how everything is reporting.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.