cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECIEVED MY FIRST PREMIER CREDIT CARD!! FIRST CC I HAVE HAD IN 7 YEARS!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

RECIEVED MY FIRST PREMIER CREDIT CARD!! FIRST CC I HAVE HAD IN 7 YEARS!!

Rebuilding my credit, while in Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Today I recieved my First Premier Bank Credit Card Gold with a 300/limit. I am excited and cannot believe I have a CC. Mind you I am still in Chapter 13, but hoping to have some established credit for when I get out of it.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: RECIEVED MY FIRST PREMIER CREDIT CARD!! FIRST CC I HAVE HAD IN 7 YEARS!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Rebuilding my credit, while in Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Today I recieved my First Premier Bank Credit Card Gold with a 300/limit. I am excited and cannot believe I have a CC. Mind you I am still in Chapter 13, but hoping to have some established credit for when I get out of it.  

Grats and happy holidays Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way To Go. Congrat'sSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious... did the trustee approve your CC and car loan?

I'm asking because that was the biggest thing that my attorney stressed when I filed Ch 13... absolutely no new debt without the permission of the trustee.  The trustee isn't your friend... he's there for your creditors and adding new debt without permission could even result in the trustee filing a motion to dismiss your case.

I never tried it because my previous vehicle loan was paid outside of my Ch 13 plan and I lived the 4 years without a CC which didn't cause me any problems with rebuilding... my scores were 620-640 at discharge and I got a Cap One unsecured card the next day and was on my way.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My trustee approved my car loan, I did not seek approval for the credit card. However, its my understanding that trustee approval is only needed if credit being obtained is over 500.00 which is why I did not seek approval.

Message 5 of 11
bstone
Frequent Contributor

We filed Ch 7, so we didn't need trustee approval for anything and our case was done in about four months.  However, from what I've read, in a Ch 13 you are not allowed to incur ANY new debt without the trustees approval.  NONE.

I would strongly advise you consult with your attorney and ensure you haven't put your case in jeopardy.  Even though the courts may not pull your credit and find the new card, what's to say one of the creditors you listed won't and report the card to the courts.  Just because you are paying your creditors back doesn't mean you didn't screw them out of some of the principle or interest, so they have a vested interest in your case being dismissed and them being able to potentially get 100% payback as opposed to whatever the courts approved.

What I found online went as far to say you can keep credit cards you had prior to filing, but can't even use them without trustee approval.

Good luck, but I think you made a serious error in judgement here.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate your guidance and it is well taken.  I specifically have read that taking credit under 1000 dollars requires no court approval.  In addition, I am in a 100% repay back to my creditors and on top of that I am scheduled to pay off my bankruptcy early in the sum of 9k in May 2015 due to a bonus I am going to be recieving.  I am in a perfect financial position and I am so happy about it.  I am not screwing over any creditor as they are all getting what they are owed.

Message 7 of 11
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Interesting, because in your previous post you said anything over $500 needed approval, now you say anything over $1000.

It's your case, your risk.  Paying it off early means nothing to the trustee unless they are already paid, in which case they are not, so you are at risk of dismissal.

All we can do is offer advise, take it or leave it, but I still think you're taking a huge risk.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting......I'll leave your presumptions to this board as you are not privilledged to all the information that is concering my case and are generalizing in terms of the average bankruptcy filer.  I am the one in the Chapter 13 not a Chapter 7. I am the one paying all of my creditors. I have consulted with my attorney in regards to my case everytime I make a move. I am preety comfortable with my decision. Thank you.  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting......I'll leave your presumptions to this board as you are not privileged to all the information that is concerning my case and are generalizing in terms of the average bankruptcy filer.  I am the one in the Chapter 13 not a Chapter 7. I am the one paying all of my creditors. I have consulted with my attorney in regards to my case everytime I make a move. I am pretty comfortable with my decision. Thank you.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.