cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re Chapter 7, can I pick and choose which creditors to have dismissed?

tag
aliceand
New Visitor

Re Chapter 7, can I pick and choose which creditors to have dismissed?

Is it possible to keep my credit cards active as they are not in arrears and carry very low balances (AMEX, Visa and MC), and just have a civil judgment of about $40,000 dismissed?  Or will AMEX, Chase and my credit union close down my accounts when they notice that I've filed for BK?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Re Chapter 7, can I pick and choose which creditors to have dismissed?

@aliceand wrote:

Is it possible to keep my credit cards active as they are not in arrears and carry very low balances (AMEX, Visa and MC), and just have a civil judgment of about $40,000 dismissed?  Or will AMEX, Chase and my credit union close down my accounts when they notice that I've filed for BK?

Yes, your accounts will be shut down. You are also REQUIRED to list all creditors when filing. Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose. 

Your best bet is to close those accounts now so it can say "Closed by Consumer" instead of "Close Chap 7-BK". You might have a shot once BK is over to get back in with those lenders. Go the extra step and have a conversation with your CU and explain why you are filing and ask specifically, what their policy will be about re-instatement. 

But whatever you do, if you are filing, CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS IMMEDIATELY...and pay them off first. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.