Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaffirming...

tag
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Reaffirming...

Hi, I have some questions about reaffirmation. I recently filed and plan reaffirm my loan and have questions if the creditor will negotiate loans terms because they don't any to take a loss.Is this true? Have you heard of this?

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reaffirming...

What kind of loan?

Reaffirmation may also depend on the state you live in.

In NJ for example you do not have to re-affirm if you want to keep your car.  The downside is it no longer reports and you may not be able to get/pay the bill online you may have to mail in checks.

The good news is it no longer reports and if you want to keep the car, keep the payments current. If you decide to walk away you can walk away at any point in time with no additional ill effects.

Other loans maybe different and again this may vary by state.

Message 2 of 24
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

It's a car loan and I'm in New Jersey. So if I understand correctly I may not have to reaffirm to keep car, that's interesting. I'd be concerned about them repossessing the car. Mailing checks in would suck.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 3 of 24
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Another question. When you say walk away at any point, do you mean post discharge?
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 4 of 24
Scupra
Super Contributor

@empressj wrote:
Another question. When you say walk away at any point, do you mean post discharge?

Yes, if you don't reaffirm you are able to give the car back at any time, no consequences. Doing a pay and stay would be optimal if you could. It usually doesn't make sense to reaffirm. I know you had some reasons though Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If in NJ do not re-affirm unless the car is new, under warranty, in increadible shape, not upside down on loan, loan has low interest rate...

This way if anything goes wrong after the CH7 you can walk away from it.

I was able to finance 2 cars just a couple of months after my discharge.

Message 6 of 24
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Hi
I have 2013 Hyundai Santana Fe sport. Got it in Jan 16 post a bad car accident. I have 10 year extended warranty (included in loan). My husband and I are sharing one car and its brutal. We need this car for work transportation and in hopes of getting another sometime next year will certainly speak with attorney about this.

Thanks for the info.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 7 of 24
empressj
Frequent Contributor

I'd also like to refinance with my credit union. Thanks again
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 8 of 24
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@empressj wrote:

In many states, if not reaffirmed the loan is actually shown on the credit report as IIB with a 0 balance. The creditor does however still have a lein on the car that will not be released until the lein is satisfied. If not reaffirmed, but you continue to remain current on payments, you can keep the car, and no further credit reporting will be done..good or bad, as the debt was discharged, but the lein was not. If at any time you decide to allow voluntary repo, it will not even show as such on the credit report. The creditor will not send bills, because they can not be seen as trying to collect on discharged debt. You can usually set up auto bill pay for the payment at your bank. This can also be done with mortgages.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 9 of 24
empressj
Frequent Contributor

I was under the assumption that I had to reaffirm in order to keep the car, otherwise they'd repossess it. 

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.