Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding After BK - Deserve Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding After BK - Deserve Credit Card

Hi all! Just over one year post filing here, D/C was in April 2017. I’ve been mostly focusing on correcting my spending habits, but recently have been starting to work on my credit rebuild. I just got a personal loan from a local credit union I belong to, but would like to add a credit card to the mix. I’ve received a couple prequalified offers from the predatory lenders. My credit union has offered a secured card that can graduate with good history. I’m still blacklisted from Capital One (have been checking prequalifier and also applying at random, no credit hits and always cites past delinquent accounts). I also burned Credit One so no dice there... however Credit Karma recently suggested a Deserve credit card. I’ve never heard of this company and they seem fairly new. I can barely even find reviews from others which seems odd. Anyone have any experience with them, or should I go with the credit union secured route?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding After BK - Deserve Credit Card

I applied with them four months after discharge based on Credit Karma and the sole reason they gave was Public record or collection filed. I was able to get a secured card with NFCU and it's been a wonderful experience.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh good to know! Maybe I’ll save the HP and just go secured for now... thank you for the feedback!
Message 3 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Don't got with a lender no-one has ever heard of before. Ive been in the credit game for 25 yrs and never heard of them. I would check the Discover pre-qual and see if it offers you a set apr, and a congrats.

If so, Id go for it. They like thinner files with not a lot of credit, and folks have been getting approved post BK.
Message 4 of 16
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

The were originally SelfScore, a company who focused on giving credit to international students who lacked access to traditional banking. They rebranded themselves as Deserve to focus on getting credit to millennials and Gen Zers.

I would compare them to the Ollo and Petal cards who target a specific group of people with a perk. There edu card pays for a Amazon Prime membership

Message 5 of 16
mannamay
Established Member

Congrats on rebuiding. I am doing the same. The Discover secured card is good and you don't have to press one to talk to anyone. It's nice and has been wonderful to have. 

EQ: 586, TU: 618, EX: 662
Currently: "Gardening"
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions on checking with Discover - I’ll check their prequal page!
Message 7 of 16
totallymytravis
New Contributor

I applied today and got a 6-10 day message. Saw the ping on my EX report and called the number. They were not able to give me a decision but said they would send the reposne email- it was a dennial. 

They pulled Experian 665. I may call back on Monday to see if I am successful with a recon. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How far past filing are you? After the one year + one month file date it seemed like a few doors finally opened for me.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pizza, I wanted to thank you for your advice - I didn’t end up applying to the lender I was originally asking about in this post. Capital One finally let me back in a couple weeks after I posted this with a small unsecured card ($1k), and I took your advice and checked Discover’s prequal page and found I had an offer with an interest rate - applied and got approved for $1.4k (also unsecured)! I’m really excited about this card especially, hoping it grows with my profile like I’ve heard it can... but off to the garden for now, haha. Thanks again Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.