cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

Established Member

Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

My Chapter 7 Discharge was on February 20, 2018.  I was reviewing all the information about rebuilding.  I've seen where some of you are going for secured cards and "rebuilding" cards.  I just applied to Capital One Platinum card and was approved for $1,000 with no start up or annual fees .  For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot.  Just thought some of you might want to try this before getting those rebuilding cards which charge you an arm and a leg with a very low credit limit.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

@texamel wrote:

My Chapter 7 Discharge was on February 20, 2018.  I was reviewing all the information about rebuilding.  I've seen where some of you are going for secured cards and "rebuilding" cards.  I just applied to Capital One Platinum card and was approved for $1,000 with no start up or annual fees .  For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot.  Just thought some of you might want to try this before getting those rebuilding cards which charge you an arm and a leg with a very low credit limit.  

as always, YMMV Smiley Wink

they still hate me 3 years after the fact ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats on the approval and start of your rebuild!

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Discover/Target/NFCU CLOC/NFCU Cash Rewards/PenFed Power Cash Rewards/PenFed Pathfinder AMEX - $57k total revolving
Message 2 of 7
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

The Capital One Platinum is a rebuilder card, but it’s one of the better ones. 

AMEX PLATINUM, DELTA PLAT & SPG | PenFed PR | NFCU FS | Discover IT | CAP1 QS & VENTURE | LOWES l NORDSTROM I WAYFAIR I
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@texamel wrote:

For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's "alot"? Like 10K? 25K? 50K? More?

I just got discharged last week. I burned Capital One almost 50K.

I was not going to consider Capital One at all, but maybe there's hope.

BK DC 4/9/2018
4/9/2018: EQ 650 EX 642 TU ???
Message 4 of 7
Established Member

$15,000.
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

@texamel wrote:
$15,000.

Oh thank you for sharing that... you just gave me hope! Mine was $7k.... still have 2 weeks till discharge.

STARTING OVER. Hit a bump in the road with an unemployed hubby, 700s turned to 400s pretty quickly when we couldn't pay.
Message 6 of 7
Valued Member

I only burned them for like 1.5K and I'm getting no love on the pre-qual.  So maybe this will give me hope too lol

Starting Scores: 470 Experian 510 Equifax 498 Transunion 06/17
Current Score: 669 Experian 652 Equifax 653 Transunion 02/18
Goal Score: 750+ FICO 8

Gardening Until July or August 2018
Message 7 of 7