Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

tag
texamel
Valued Member

Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

My Chapter 7 Discharge was on February 20, 2018.  I was reviewing all the information about rebuilding.  I've seen where some of you are going for secured cards and "rebuilding" cards.  I just applied to Capital One Platinum card and was approved for $1,000 with no start up or annual fees .  For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot.  Just thought some of you might want to try this before getting those rebuilding cards which charge you an arm and a leg with a very low credit limit.  

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding After Chapter 7 Discharge

@texamel wrote:

My Chapter 7 Discharge was on February 20, 2018.  I was reviewing all the information about rebuilding.  I've seen where some of you are going for secured cards and "rebuilding" cards.  I just applied to Capital One Platinum card and was approved for $1,000 with no start up or annual fees .  For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot.  Just thought some of you might want to try this before getting those rebuilding cards which charge you an arm and a leg with a very low credit limit.  

as always, YMMV Smiley Wink

they still hate me 3 years after the fact ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats on the approval and start of your rebuild!

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Capital One Platinum is a rebuilder card, but it’s one of the better ones. 

Message 3 of 19
onstar
Established Contributor

@texamel wrote:

For the record, in my Chapter 7 I did burn Capital One, by alot. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's "alot"? Like 10K? 25K? 50K? More?

I just got discharged last week. I burned Capital One almost 50K.

I was not going to consider Capital One at all, but maybe there's hope.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 4 of 19
texamel
Valued Member

$15,000.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@texamel wrote:
$15,000.

Oh thank you for sharing that... you just gave me hope! Mine was $7k.... still have 2 weeks till discharge.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only burned them for like 1.5K and I'm getting no love on the pre-qual.  So maybe this will give me hope too lol

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I burned CapOne for about $3000 maybe less. I still have access to my credit score and monitoring that was offered/free with my old cards. I'm curious if that's possibly a good thing in terms of them letting me back in? 

Have others gotten a Cap One soon after discharge, despite bring them?

My discharge was in Jan 2018 and this is the first I'm looking at anything credit wise to begin my rebuild (I've been crazy busy with school). I intended to follow the 24 months to 700 plan loosely. I was just approved for Credit One Platinum for $1500. 

Capital One creditwise score says 640. 

PS. I've been letting since before I filed, figured I'd come out of hiding! 

Message 8 of 19
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Capital One does their dreaded tripple pull (unless you have one CRA frozen, in which case they are fine with two CRA pulls), but the real quesiton is whether they will pull at all if you are on the blacklist?   Barclay's and AMEX won't even pull so there is no risk in applying,   Someone else can chime in and confirm whether Cap 1 pulls when you are blacklisted.

Message 9 of 19
moemoe455

I wish I understood their scoring system, I burned them for $300 in BK and got the ole "You'll get a letter, etc we are processing" response. Was discharged in August 2018 with one Credit One card. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.