Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Question

So I just signed up for the forum and I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice on rebuilding post BK.

I have some department store cards which were not included in my Bankruptcy, do you recomment using these to improve my credit scores and paying them off monthly? I know that's contradictory to a lot of the things I see but if I already have the cards I won't have to take the initial credit hit for the pull.

I already re-affirmed my Mortgage but it has not yet shown up on my credit report.

My credit scores are as follows:

Trans Union - 688

Equifax - 714

Experian - 679

Prior to discharging I was never late on any bill, I just realized that I was in a downward spiral having to utilize cards just to make ends meat.

My discharge has not gone thru yet (2/1 was last day to object) but I'm wondering if post discharge these scores will drop considerably as they seem quite high from what I've read.

Thanks for any input/comments!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Question

Post discharge you will see a decrease but it may not be a drastic change for you , I would wait for discharge to be finalized before I started using or applying for new credit but as always consult with your attorney about those dept cards that weren't included, as I thought everything had to be listed and included . Maybe add one or the famous three cards to have the mix and small secure savings loan to start
Message 2 of 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Side note about your mortgage not showing on your CR, yet reaffirmed.  Unless you specifically asked the lender to continue reporting in your reaffirmation agreement, they are under no obligation to continue to do so, and will "probably" report it as IIB and a zero balance with no activity.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will probably find that those $0 balance cards will not be able to be used after discharge. Many lenders will close cards proactively when they discover you have filed. Good luck to you.

Message 4 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would use whatever credit cards you have and pay them off AFTER the statement hits.

Pay off all but like 5% of each card BEFORE the statement hits.

Staying under 9% of total credit line on CR is important.

Apply for Capital One Unsecured in 60 or 90 days.  Use it.  Pay it.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

After discharge i would recommend going to Cap1 prequal site and see if you can get a card.  Dont' worry too much about the hard pulls.  You don't want too many but you will need them to get credit.  They are a necessity to rebuild your credit.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.