cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy what to do with my auto loan

tag
aufkes22

Rebuilding after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy what to do with my auto loan

I filed bankruptcy in Dec 2013 Discharged in April 2014.  Since then i have been approved for a 300.00 credit one unsecured credit card and a 1000.00 unsecured loan the term on the loan is 19 months not sure i want to keep it open that long or pay it off.  Also i have student loans that are on defferment not behind or late on any.  I have an auto loan through gateway financial that i agreed to keep paying on i owe about 8,500 on intrest rate is 23% the car is worth about 5,000.  I am not sure what to do from here do I pay on everything for a while and try to get refinanced or do i go and try to get a new auto loan?  Also should i try applying for more credit cards or loans? or do i wait and let my credit score go up from what i have.

Equifax-550

Trans- 552

Not sure about the other.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy what to do with my auto loan

@aufkes22 wrote:

I filed bankruptcy in Dec 2013 Discharged in April 2014.  Since then i have been approved for a 300.00 credit one unsecured credit card and a 1000.00 unsecured loan the term on the loan is 19 months not sure i want to keep it open that long or pay it off.  Also i have student loans that are on defferment not behind or late on any.  I have an auto loan through gateway financial that i agreed to keep paying on i owe about 8,500 on intrest rate is 23% the car is worth about 5,000.  I am not sure what to do from here do I pay on everything for a while and try to get refinanced or do i go and try to get a new auto loan?  Also should i try applying for more credit cards or loans? or do i wait and let my credit score go up from what i have.

Equifax-550

Trans- 552

Not sure about the other.

Make sure all your TLs discharged in the BK are reporting correctly IIB, 0 balance. I am surprised you were able to re-affirm that car loan most BK judges wont allow it being upside down. You are going to have to wait about 6 months before you will be able to refi that loan IMO, I would be joining DCU as soon as your EQ is in order. You should pick up 2 secured bankcards if you have the funds to do so then garden till you get the new auto loan. I would PIF that installment after 6 months you dont get a lot out of it and you already have inst loans with your SLs. SDFCU has a secured card its a SP to join and if you have the funds already in your savings account and you call to open the secured card it too is a SP. Good luck in your rebuild journey Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.