cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit with a identity theft alert.

tag
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

Rebuilding credit with a identity theft alert.

Hello everyone, I have a question about rebuilding credit with an identity theft alert. I'm still going through a bankruptcy but I have to set a fraud alert because I recently found out some of my personal information was left on a public computer. Will trying to get credit from non physical banks be an issue? Like capital one or other cards that people get online? Should I not set the fraud alert and hope no one else saw that information?
Chapter 7 Discharged Aug 2014
Starting Score: EQ 587, TU 567, EX 612
Current Score: EQ 643, TU 627, EX 657
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Rebuilding credit with a identity theft alert.

They'll be a delay in approvals until they verify you either by phone or in writing.  Make sure your contact number is included in the fraud alert, not just on your CR's. Also, it will opt you out of pre-screened offers. 

If you are still dealing with identity theft, the FA is something you should keep for your protection. 

Message 2 of 7
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the information. If my identity cannot be identified by phone they do it by writing? I was told my identity couldn't be indentified over the phone one time with my bank so I had to go into a branch. Is the information they use from my credit reports?

Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ordnance1987 wrote:

Thank you for the information. If my identity cannot be identified by phone they do it by writing? I was told my identity couldn't be indentified over the phone one time with my bank so I had to go into a branch. Is the information they use from my credit reports?

Some lenders will allow you to send in verification documents but that process is truly cumbersome and if you have to recon; waste of Precious time 

Message 4 of 7
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

What is the easiest way to attain credit with the fraud alert?

Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not sure what you are asking but if you are asking which method of verification is easier - that would be placing your contact number in your fraud alert 

Message 6 of 7
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

Ok, thank you for the information.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.