cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received discharge from chap 7, credit cards still show as open on credit reports, what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received discharge from chap 7, credit cards still show as open on credit reports, what to do?

I filed chapter 7 in Nov. 2014, had my 314 hearing in Jan 2015, received my discharge from the court dated March 25, 2015. The trustee also sent a "release of liability" letter confirming that no further actions were required. All discharged debt was 100% unsecured credit cards.

Since I plan on getting a secured card to rebuild my credit, I decided to check my credit reports on Credit Karma. On the Transunion report, it shows both of my Chase cards as "open-derogatory" status, both cards show a $0 balance, and it says "chapter 7 bankruptcy" in the remarks for both. I also  have a Discover showing thesame things. 

On the Equifax report, both Chase cards show as closed, but the  Discover shows "open-derogatory" as well as a $0 balance. But in the remarks, it says something different: "chapter 7 bankruptcy - petition filed."

I have not checked my Experian report yet.

I contacted my attorney and he said to contact the credit card companies. Of course, when I called them, I was given the runaraound and sent to their bad debt collections department. (I'm sure they will try to get my to pay up if I try to resolve it with them just to put my "credit" back in good standing ....LOL)

So, I am wondering whatI should do now...? should I ...

1) Wait.  Perhaps they need more time to update? (it has been 30 days since I received my discharge letter, or have they had enough time already?)

2) Contact them and go through a resolution/dispute cllaim against them? (before applying for secured cards ....?)

I'm also wondering if this isgoing to hinder me getting a decent secured card or not...? Or will it matter at this point? I just don't want to put too many inquiries on my pathetic 580 FICO score. I'm trying to avoid that right now.

If someone could please shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received discharge from chap 7, credit cards still show as open on credit reports, what to do?

Hello and congrats on your discharge.   I don't know much about secured cards but I would suggest reading http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...  There is a lit of great info.  Good luck

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received discharge from chap 7, credit cards still show as open on credit reports, what to do?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.