Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently discharged, need guidance on rebuilding

tag
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Recently discharged, need guidance on rebuilding

@rothrim wrote:

I totally understand!!  In my situation - i had to file bankruptcy due to a divorce.  I am a single mother with 4 kids, 2 being labeled disabled.  I currently am working from home and pretty good with my finances.  My goal is to eventually purchase a new home.  I also declared my vehicle in bankruptcy so I will eventually need a much more reliable vehicle as well.  I didn't have much CC debt prior to bankruptcy, it was mainly a forclosure (which was private lender, so its not even on my credit report), a car loan/repossession, and maybe 4 SMALL Credit Cards with limits under $1000.  I burned Merrick Bank, CreditOne and Capital One in my bankruptcy.  I also burned some store cards as well Walmart, Amazon, Target, Old Navy and Fingerhut (my limits with them were all very small under $600 each card)

OP, sorry to hear about your situation. Hope everything goes well now that you have a fresh start. Good luck with your rebuilding!

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recently discharged, need guidance on rebuilding

Patience is key with rebuilding.  I went on an app spree a couple months after my discharge but had no luckSmiley Sad  I really wanted to avoid a secured card but ended up deciding that was the best route.  I was very happy with my Open Sky card.  I made a $200 deposit and they charged a $29 annual fee.  I put a small recurring charge on it monthly.  Unfortunately I have found that Chase, CITI and BoA are not BK friendly.  I am 15 months post BK and I now have a Discover IT card and 2 Cap1 Quicksilver cards.  Good luck with your rebuilding

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.