Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering from chapter 13 bankruptcy

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Recovering from chapter 13 bankruptcy

I wanted to open it up to all members that are in a chapter 13 and have questions. I was in my chapter 13 from April 2003 until November 2006. So most questions I can answer. So because of the experience that I have been through I would like to ask that any of you feel free to ask questions. There will be some questions that I will not be able to answer. The bottom line is I will always give you the accurate information and tell you if I can not answer it. So fire away!!!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Recovering from chapter 13 bankruptcy

how do you get a prime lender like chase to give you credit (not included in bk)  my score is coming up and have many open accounts now all paid on time since 2005.  Still denied by Chase.  (do have B of A secured)
Message 2 of 5
tallygirl33
Established Member

When I saw the topic, I had to write.  I have been in Ch. 13 for a year and I have a five year plan.  Sometimes it's depressing because you feel like you can't handle your finances.  Plus, you start to think that you will never get to the end of this plan.  It still feels embarassing to me. 

But, on the bright side, I am recovering from my poor financial choices.  I have not dealt with a credit card in a year and I am recovering from the "instant gratification" disease since I only deal in cash.  I think I have a healthier respect for money and how precious a resource it is.  Credit Cards are great but like someone told me (and I didn't listen to him) that it is just "fairy" money.  The only thing "real" about a credit card is when you have to pay them back.  So, it has been a hard lesson to learn but I'm a much more responsible person for it.  I just had to eat a little crow to get this point in my life.  Oh well, such is life!!!   
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I filed just recently, for chapter 13. What can we expect once we receive a date to appear in court? We were already given a 5 year repayment plan, that will begin this next month to a trustee, and it will deducted from my husbands monthly paycheck.
Did you complete your repayment plan early? My lawyer told us we could, repay early,  if we had extra income in the next few years. But he said he would advice us to place it in a savings account. Is this good advice?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been in chapter 13 bankruptcy for 3 and a half years with one year left, building my credit slowly. I have tried several times to buy a home with most payments, insurances, and taxes but with no results, the minute they know I am in bankruptcy I get the same story call back one or two years after I have cleared. I have not faulted on any payments of any kind. I thought bankruptcy was the governments way of letting you have a new start. I am a vet and have been pre approved for a government VA loan, and still I get the same story your in bankruptcy call us when you clear. Is there any where out there where I can go and not be burdened with this thing over my head. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.