cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Car loan 1 yr after Discharge...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing Car loan 1 yr after Discharge...?

In September of 2015 my chapter 7 bk was discharged so In November I purchased a new vehicle  with Capital one as my lien holder and around 12% interest. My question is I would like to refinance the loan now however capital one will not refinance an existing loan of theirs. So I am looking to refinance through my credit union (Not Navy Fed)  however they require me to wait a full year from discharge which is no problem since that is coming up.  Has anyone else tried this before, I know Capital One is BK friendly but im scared that even with my perfect payment history on my car and credit cards that it will be a higher rate.  Will I be able to say no to my credit union if this happens and continue my loan with Capital?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinancing Car loan 1 yr after Discharge...?

@Anonymous wrote:

In September of 2015 my chapter 7 bk was discharged so In November I purchased a new vehicle  with Capital one as my lien holder and around 12% interest. My question is I would like to refinance the loan now however capital one will not refinance an existing loan of theirs. So I am looking to refinance through my credit union (Not Navy Fed)  however they require me to wait a full year from discharge which is no problem since that is coming up.  Has anyone else tried this before, I know Capital One is BK friendly but im scared that even with my perfect payment history on my car and credit cards that it will be a higher rate.  Will I be able to say no to my credit union if this happens and continue my loan with Capital?

Nothing is final until you agree and sign off on the loan. So definitely if your CU cannot offer you a lower rate or better terms, you can simply say no thank you. You'll continue with your loan through Cap One until the loan is paid off, and that is either through you, or through another financial institute that paid your Cap One loan off because you refinanced with them.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refinancing Car loan 1 yr after Discharge...?

im in the same boat. I was discharged sept 2015 and i got a new car january 2016 with a high interest rate of 21%

i opened an account with my local credit union and didnt a credit rebuilder loan. when they ran my credit and saw my score (640) they said i would qualify for a much lower interest rate. I told them i would think about it and decide if i could when i hit the official one year post discharge. good luck! update on the process when you do refinance

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.