Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing after BK

Does anyone have any experience refinancing - althought I suspect in today's market, things will be much more difficult regardless...

We got into one of those interest only mortgages which is due to adjust in 1 1/2 years and the principal with then kick in; we will be 3 years from discharge at that point and right now our credit scores are mid to high 600s.   Does anyone know if there are any companies that are easier to work with in dealing with a mortgage after bankruptcy; are we better off trying to refinance now - or waiting until closer to the date it will adjust?  And advice or experience anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

Re: Refinancing after BK

FHA allows you to refi 2 years after a chap 7 discharge or after 1 yr of making payments on a chap 13.  The only problem right now with refi is that home values have dropped sooo much that it is VERY likely that you owe more than the home is worth - making it almost impossible to refi since FHA will only refi up to 97% of the home.  My advice...starting paying down the priciple asap and then after a year look into refi.  Maybe the house values will be better and you'll have some equity in the place.

9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA is really going to be your only option, unless you can get your existing lender to rewrite the terms.

Conventional financing now requires 4 years from discharge and won't finance as much of the value.

The good news is that mid-high 600s is fine with FHA so anything higher is bonus.

Message 3 of 10
liz9100
Regular Contributor

Call the bank and ask about rewriting the loan now. If they say no then wait and pay down the loan until you can. Keep the score going up and pay everything on time still good luck. Once I find out if I got the rewrite myself I will update others.

Everyone above 610...
Message 4 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You might be a good candidate for FHA/HUD's new program, Hope for Homeowners.  It would require some cooperation from your existing lender to allow a "short refinance", but at least you'd be in a 30-year fixed loan the rest of the way.  Be aware of the "equity sharing" feature of this program where 50% of the future equity goes to the govermment upon the sale - however if you are in an adjustable rate, owe more than what your home is worth, and are looking to refinance, FHA's Hope for Homeowners could be a good option.  Read more info about it at Information on Hope for Homeowners
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact you lender, and explain to them that you are interested in doing a Short Refinance, as you would want to get out of your current subprime loan and you currently owe more that your house is worth.  If they agree to do it, then you can contact an FHA lender/ broker to get a low fixed rate FHA loan.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a short refinance?  I've never heard of that.
Message 7 of 10
itzateach
Regular Contributor

I have a ch 7 discharged bk from 2003 and bought my home in 2006.  I also just refinanced it at 6 percent and took cash out to pay off credit cards. We owed 276k and refinanced for 309. It appraised at 320k. I think the key is where you are located and if your home is holding value. I am in Utah and there are foreclosures and short sales everywhere, but great homes are still holding their equity.
Message 8 of 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

izateach what bank did u use 2 refi? i hv bk from 2004 interest rate 7% wld like 2 refi if possible but dont know where 2 start
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 9 of 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

bump
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.