Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminder--Cancel full coverage insurance if returning car

tag
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

Reminder--Cancel full coverage insurance if returning car

If you've filed bankruptcy, and are waiting for the company to pick up the car, cancel full coverage, and carry liability only. Change your insurance from "own, making payments" to "own, not making payments".
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Reminder--Cancel full coverage insurance if returning car

I'm not so sure I would do that.You're responsible for the car until you surrender posession. You're responsbile for surrendering the collateral securing the loan back to the creditor, if you total the car with no collision/comprehensive coverage what are going to surrender to them? I like saving $$$ as much as anything, but a month or so of insurance isn't that much, I wouldn't take the risk.

@jkjklkjkl wrote:
If you've filed bankruptcy, and are waiting for the company to pick up the car, cancel full coverage, and carry liability only. Change your insurance from "own, making payments" to "own, not making payments".

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comprehensive protects their interest in the car. Liability only helps you. I took the insurance off my car and let it sit in the garage till they told me they were coming to pick it up, but if you are driving it around willy nilly you should keep full coverage on it.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely would NOT do this.

Message 4 of 6
holmesnmanny
Contributor

If you've already filed, any debt you acumulate after that filing date is yours to keep. It will NOT be discharged. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed BK and now you want to risk potentially picking up another debt if there is a loss? Hopefully filing BK gives you a new start, and not to continue the ways of life that took you to BK. Technically, the lender could place force insurance on the vehicle and you would pay. Not a good idea!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.