Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting after dismissed bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Renting after dismissed bankruptcy

I need help. I have been unable to rent an apartment due to my dismissed bankruptcy (income increased after the file date. trustee dismissed bankruptcy due to the increase). The rental company informed me that they would only rent to me if my bankruptcy is discharged. I tried to explain the situation but they don't understand my dismissal. Are there any success stories or advice for my situation?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Renting after dismissed bankruptcy

look for an individual who rents and stay away from the complexes or find one that would let you just pay a higher deposit.  Your trustee dismissed because you made more after you filed? were you chapter 7 or chapter 13?  That doesn't really sound right.  Usually they dismiss for non payment in a chapter 13 unless you hide some assets???? (not saying you did but just wondering)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I filed Ch. 7. I had a $30,000 increase in my income. The trustee said that the Ch. 7 was dismissed because of my increase in income and that I could file Ch. 13 if I wanted. I was so upset that I made a rash decision to just pay everything off myself. I was upset with the attorney for advising me that my pay increase would not affect my bankruptcy. I told them that I was looking for a job and that I may or may not get one before the bankruptcy was completed. I wanted to know how this would affect me and if I should continue on or change to CH. 13. They told me that as long as I filed before I got the new job, I would be okay. They were dead wrong and they didn't care at all as long as they had their money. Anyway, not all dismissals have to do with nonpayment. My issue is a case in point. I wasn't eligible for a Ch. 7. Perhaps a Ch 13 but I thought I would be better off paying the debt myself. I thought it would make me look good. But it didn't.
Message 3 of 8
granny031350
Established Contributor

If you have paid off those accounts that would have been included in the bk, then your credit should be on the rebound.  You might goodwill the lates from those companies that you paid off and see if they would remove the lates etc.  That is too bad.  But usually in a chapter 7, your financial picture is the day of filing and the look back is 6 months, not the look forward.  I wonder if you didn't meet the means test criteria in the first place?    And I am surprised that the US trustee didn't force the conversion.  Usually a chapter 7 is converted, not dismissed.  But you are stuck now.  I would network and see if a friend of a friend knows someone that would rent to you also. 
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by the atty. that the new law was to blame for the way my Ch 7 was dismissed. Thanks for the info. I hope the good will letters work.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Canmon. I am beginning a Ch 7 and I was also told that any income increases will be irrelevant after I file. Which state did you file in??
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed in Illinois. I'm starting to think that its simply the luck of the draw. Perhaps your trustee will be a little more lenient that mine was. Also, the amount of debt you have compared to your new income will be taken into consideration. For me, if I had gotten my promotion before I filed I wouldn't have had a need to file. It would have been tough for me financially but not dire. I believe the trustee looked at it this way as well. If I were you I would double check. Perhaps contacting your attorney and expressing your concerns or even contacting the courts. I don't know if contacting the courts is possible but I would look into it.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the Heads Up!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.