Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting in NYC - Bankruptcy

tag
rMayer
Established Member

Renting in NYC - Bankruptcy

I've obtained a lawyer and will file for chapter 7 in a few months. I need to move back to NYC for work in January which means I'll be either about to file or have just done so. I make 140k+ a year and have been at my job for 3 years, have a family that I obviously support. Despite the bankruptcy I'm low-risk for being sketchy in terms of rent payment. Never been evicted from any place I've lived. Is it truly possible that I will be flatly denied for renting in NYC? I find it hard to believe considering my income, stable job and renting history but I've been hearing crappy stories. I'd obviously be willing to put up more money and explain my situation (medical bills upon crippling medical bills) but now I'm getting nervous that I'll never find an apartment. Any experience with this, more specifically in NYC? I wouldn't have acess to a co-signer. I have heard from friends that agents "won't even look at anyone under 600 credit score" - any help?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Renting in NYC - Bankruptcy

I'm not sure about renting in NYC but check with your attorney about your plans to move if this will take you from one court district to another. Other's on here ended up with 2 BK's on their credit report because they had to file again in their new district of residence.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Renting in NYC - Bankruptcy

It's not going to be easy. If you had a year's rent up front, you could find places that would overlook it, but apartments in the city are so hard to get. 

My apartment is in an old tenement and I have an old school landlord that doesn't even check credit. But all of his rentals have been by current tenants referring friends for probably 25+ years now.

If you do end up needing to file in NYC and can somehow find a place you can afford on $140k in Manhattan, the means test is WAY more forgiving in this borough for Chapter 7s with high income. It's just so darn expensive here.

There are lots of landlords that will rent to you no problem in Jersey City Heights.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.