cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Previous CC After 13 Discharge?

tag
HenRut2

Restore Previous CC After 13 Discharge?

I am in the final year of a 13 filing. During the salad years (before filing) I had a Gold and Platinum Amex.  The Gold had no debt and the Platinum had about 3K on it.  As the Amex card is helpful in my business, I would like to restore one of them after discharge next July.  Does it make sense to try?  I know they will require me to pay off the previous debt (possibly plus interest) before even considering it.  My question is, will they consider it?  Can I even trust them if they say to send them 3K (plus) and they'll give me a card?  Would they put such a thing in writing?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Restore Previous CC After 13 Discharge?

I doubt very much that Amex would give you another card. A cancelled card is not restorable as far as I have experienced.

Message 2 of 9
HenRut2

Kind of what I thought. You think that would apply to any credit from Amex?

Message 3 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@HenRut2 wrote:

Kind of what I thought. You think that would apply to any credit from Amex?

I have tried on more than one occasion to get Amex to approve a new card. Was never successful and lost interest. I also tried to get Wells Fargo to do the same as my WF Visa was cancelled when I filed for Ch 7 bankruptcy last year. I even offered to pay the outstanding balance despite it having beed discharged. They refused. Same for Capital One.

My recommendation is to focus on rebuilding your credit and forgetting about Amex.

You may want to talk to your bank where you do your business banking. They can often help when direct app to Amex would fail.

Message 4 of 9
HenRut2

>>My recommendation is to focus on rebuilding your credit and forgetting about Amex.<<

Yeah, I'm already underway with that. Just wondering if it's possible.  You've confirmed.  Thanks.  I suppose snooty Amex has their "elite" reputation to uphold.  But Capitol One?!!  The "What's in your wallet?' clowns? 

Anyway, on a side note, my wife has both a Gold Amex and a Gold BofA Visa.  I tried getting a second card using my name and SS.   Amex turned me down but BofA had no problem issuing me a card.  Really helps to have a cc with my name on it when traveling.  Ironically, I owed BofA (on two cards) much more when I filed 13 than Amex.  Go figure.

Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Amex has a program called Oasis for previously defaulted cc's. Of course, the rest of the credit should pass UW which means you need to let some time pass before applying. The info on Oasis can be googled and the number is in the Credit Card Forums Backdoor Number sticky.
Message 6 of 9
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

Maybe apply for an amex card that isn't issued by Amex, such as USAA? Just an idea. I probably wouldn't pay the 3,000 just because they say you may or may not get approved for a credit card with them..

Message 7 of 9
HenRut2

The Oasis program sounds like something I might explore after I'm discharged.  Thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 9
HenRut2

The Amex infinity card route sounds like a possibility through someone like USAA or Delta Airlines, but I assume their application process is handled by Amex, taking me back to square one.  Not worth risking 3K on just their say-so.  Would need something in writing and I'm increasingly less enamoured of the whole idea.  After all, rental car companies and hotels (when traveling) couldn't care less what kind of card you hand them.  Thanks for the reply.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.