Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOULD I BUY CAR WHILE IN BANKRUPTCY?? HELP

tag
sprint100
Established Member

Re: SHOULD I BUY CAR WHILE IN BANKRUPTCY?? HELP

I don't know where you live, but the deal I received on my car was very good. It is only one year old and Honda certified which also means the manufacturers warranty has been extended, so I powertrain and bumper-to-bumper coverage is still there. Continue to educate yourself and learn to be more disciplined when it comes to finances not the fearful mindset that many develop. Oh yeah, I was able to drive off not paying anything but the $1200 down payment was due 30 days later and the sticker price was what was expected looking at other dealers and KBB. But, I can't stress continual education in regards to finances and being very disciplined. 

Message 11 of 17
CBmommy
New Visitor

A car dealership offered to help me get a car. They told me they can do it once I file for bankruptcy. They said that's their speciality. It's sounds a little strange to me. I have filed bankruptcy yet but but I do plan to do so by next month no later than July. Has anyone bought a car during bankruptcy???
Message 12 of 17
CBmommy
New Visitor

Not*****^
Message 13 of 17
msnewbeginning

I was told to purchase a car after discharge, I'm  waiting on discharge papers now so that I can buy me a new car but idk how long I should wait, I'm driving an old car I bought cash bc I let an old car loan go in bk bc the interest was high and the car wasn't worth the amount I owed ($9,300) for a 2004 chevy malibu with 150k miles! But I want to purchase new but idk what kind of deal I will get post discharge.

Equifax: 520
Experian: 518
Trans: 489
Goal: 650
Message 14 of 17
lovelylisa84
Valued Member

I am in the same position as you. My discharge is in about 3 weeks give or take. I would not buy during BK...wait until discharge. It is a lot harder to get a loan during BK and more than likely you will pay a higher interest while in BK. My mom has a score of 580 with BK7 (2 years old) and she got a new Ford and used Wells Fargo at 9.9%...at first they told her 17% she said no and argued.... 20% is ridiculous and you do not need to be in another position where you are in too much debt. I know you need anothher car...believe me. I have 3 kids (one is an infant) and a husband in a small sedan with exhaust leak, oil leak (just fixed) and no AC with 122K miles. Trust me...I feel your anxiety towards needing a new car but be patient and shop around first through banks and credit unions because you might get a better APR. Don't buy on impulse because you will later regret it.

Good luck!

TU FAKO 5/2013 605 6/2013 617
EQ FICO 5/2013 535 6/2013 623
BK7 Filed 3/29/13
Score Goal:715
Message 15 of 17
starry1
Valued Contributor

@CBmommy wrote:
A car dealership offered to help me get a car. They told me they can do it once I file for bankruptcy. They said that's their speciality. It's sounds a little strange to me. I have filed bankruptcy yet but but I do plan to do so by next month no later than July. Has anyone bought a car during bankruptcy???

Yes I did, but avoid it if you can because the fees and interest rate were awful.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 16 of 17
msnewbeginning

Well post discharge I did not get approved for any car loans, too many car dealership ran my report. So now I'm going back checking my reports making sure every owed amount is showing discharged. Looks like I may have to wait a year to try a car loan again.

Equifax: 520
Experian: 518
Trans: 489
Goal: 650
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.