Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared

tag
Sdenisew
Regular Contributor

Scared

I didn't want to file bankruptcy. I'm confident in being able to repair my credit as I have done it once before. I went through some very horrible personal issues that caused me to go back into debt. I have a 17,000 dollar debt that it seems only filing bankruptcy will fix because they aren't willing to cooperate.

My question is this. If I make a decision to finally file can I only list that particular debt? The issue is that it's not on my credit report. Everything else on my credit report can be repaired. Since it's not on my credit reports how does it affect my credit? I hope that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.
01/30/09
TU-582
EX-507
01/25/09
EQ-504
As of 02/08/09 EQ-508

03/03/08
TU-599
EQ-511
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scared

Unfortunately for you, BK is an all or nothing proposition. Everything will fall under the filing and every open account will be listed as included in BK. Good luck with your decision.

Message 2 of 4
CWESTL
Regular Contributor

The decision to file bankruptcy is a highly indiviualized and personal decision. Only you know what is best for your financial situation. Consult an attorney for more information. Bankruptcy laws DO NOT allow you to choose the debts you would like to eliminate versus other debts that you would like to repay. A debt not listed on your credit does not effect your credit report or score. However, the debt does effect your credit worthiness with the lender to whom you owe the debt. Additionally, depending on the circumstances (i.e. timeline, etc.) a debt that is not currently listed on your credit report(s) may be listed later or sold to a third party debt collection company.

Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 (Removed 2022 & 2023)
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 8 840
Jan 2024 TU FICO 8 779
Jan 2024 EX FICO 8 788
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 9 824 AMEX Cash Magnet $26K; AMEX Platinum NPSL, POT $27.5K; Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $30k; Chase Sapphire Pref $18K; Citi Simplicity $7K; NFCU AMEX Rwds $28k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $24.1k; NFCU Plat VS $19k; Wells Fargo Reflect $25K; Mercury (previously Barclay Rwds MC) $5750k; Lowes $35k; Neiman Marcus $44k; Discover It $11.5k; Discover It $19.5K; Venmo Visa Sign $20K; Barclaycard (AU) $25.5K; Discover (AU) $19.5k New Mortgage Jan 2016 & Nonreaffirmed Mortgage Refinance Nov 2020; HELOC @ 2.75% Apr 2022; New Auto July 2017; NFCU LOC $20K
GOAL 820 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by JANUARY 2025.
AMEX Lowes Business $25K
AMEX Business LOC $25K
Chase Ink Business Unlimited $26.5K; US Bank Business Platinum $10K
Message 3 of 4
stellar
Established Contributor

@Sdenisew wrote:
 I have a 17,000 dollar debt that it seems only filing bankruptcy will fix because they aren't willing to cooperate.
 The issue is that it's not on my credit report.  Since it's not on my credit reports how does it affect my credit? I hope that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

If it's not showing on your credit report then it is not affecting your credit at all.

However, I would think it will eventually show up on your credit report which will then cause your score to fall.

How long has it been delinquent and who is the creditor/collection agency?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.