cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Increase after Chapter 13 or 7 is removed?

tag
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Score Increase after Chapter 13 or 7 is removed?

Mine was a Chapter 13 which is why I'm close to having it removed. Because it's a repayment plan, the CRA's remove them at 7 years.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 11 of 24
workinmyplan

Oh, got it! Thanks medicgrrl Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 24
workinmyplan

Thank you @ scupra 

Message 13 of 24

Waiting patiently (not reallySmiley Indifferent) for that day as well!  Discharged Oct 2009!!!!

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Chapter 7 was due to come off end of July. I requested that it be removed early.
Experian removed it and my score with them went up from 671 to 721. It was the lowest of all three. The other two are already above 700. Can’t wait to see what those do when it is removed from there.
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I can't answer, not there yet.  But I am curious if once discharged did your score improve?  We are being discharged any day now and it is the only negative thing on my report, everything else is in the green, but credit score is still in the fair range.  I'm anxious if the score will improve once it reflects discharge, even though we have another year before it drops off.  (we are at 6 yrs from filing date)

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

rjc0704, 

I don't recall there being any significant change in score at discharge. But in a way, it's just a moment in time, like high school graduation. The status change allows for doors to open up and changes can happen more quickly when you take advantage of those new opportunities , considering the relatively clean slate you should have. 

I don't remember specifics, but I think my scores increased about 5 points in the month following my discharge. And by following basic rules of rebuilding, I saw an increase of about 150 points in the following 6 months. Ymmv, of course. 

Message 17 of 24
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I saw a score jump after my BK was removed- an average of about 80 points for each credit report.  I was also quite persistent in my request for EE. Experian and Transunion were easy, I had to ask Equifax a few times before they finally gave in.

To everyone waiting, that day will be here before you know it. It seems like an eternity waiting but I learnt to enjoy the process and learned a lot about myself (and my credit) while I waited.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores went up bit by bit as I re-established my credit with new cards and a car loan, but after the BK and late payments fell off it jumped by around a 100 pts in each agency. 

I am not sure of my exact score right after BK, I think it was in the low 600s. It's now in the 800s for each agency. The last negative came off yesterday for TU-- increase for that alone was 91 pts.

Message 19 of 24
CountryLad
New Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

I saw a score jump after my BK was removed- an average of about 80 points for each credit report.  I was also quite persistent in my request for EE. Experian and Transunion were easy, I had to ask Equifax a few times before they finally gave in.

To everyone waiting, that day will be here before you know it. It seems like an eternity waiting but I learnt to enjoy the process and learned a lot about myself (and my credit) while I waited.

Hello and thanks for your input. May I please ask how you went about requesting the EE? What did you say? Was it online or by mail? How early did you request it? I'm sure you didn't file a dispute, did you? Thanks for any help.

“If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.” ―Brigham Young
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.