cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Card After Chapter 13 Court Date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured Card After Chapter 13 Court Date?

Good morning Guys and Gals!! How are you today?

I am just starting my research into this but most threads I'm seeing are from people several years into their BK already. Sorry if I missed something!

We went to court for our Chapter 13 this week and from what I understand through my reading this is when I should start looking for a secured card, correct?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
tnvols
New Contributor

Re: Secured Card After Chapter 13 Court Date?

If you file Chp 13, then you must get trustee permission to acquire any new credit.  This includes secured cards.  I have just finished making my 60th payment to my trustee and just waiting for the discharge paperwork and I was still advised not to get a secured card yet.  Doing otherwise could seriously put your Chapter 13 case at risk.  Good luck with your plan, it took forever but we are on the way back up the ladder. 

Oct 2017 Scores MyFICO FICO 8

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

July 2018 Scores MYFICO 8
Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

November 2019 Scores(24 mos post CH13 discharge) MYFICO 8
Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
Message 2 of 16
missy42
Regular Contributor

Good to know, I just made my first payment so no need to even think about credit. 1 down 59 more to go! Just glad I've started!
Filed Ch 13- 8/29/17
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tnvols wrote:

If you file Chp 13, then you must get trustee permission to acquire any new credit.  This includes secured cards.  I have just finished making my 60th payment to my trustee and just waiting for the discharge paperwork and I was still advised not to get a secured card yet.  Doing otherwise could seriously put your Chapter 13 case at risk.  Good luck with your plan, it took forever but we are on the way back up the ladder. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 16
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

We're on the same timeline; I had my 341 last week.  I'm super paranoid about acquiring credit.  I'm not even getting a new phone until it's over!

Message 5 of 16
tnvols
New Contributor

So here is the catch.  If you request permission to acquire a secured card, they will ask where the funds are coming from.  The Chp 13 plan is supposed to take all of your income above your standard household expenses therefore you shouldn't have an extra $500 laying around for a deposit.  If you do, then you should be paying more each month to your creditors.  Tread very lightly.  I suggest being patient, cleaning up your credit files in the meantime, and don't worry about the scores for now.  They should already be in the tank and they will stay there thanks to the filing so it's no rush. 

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
Message 6 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

@tnvols wrote:

So here is the catch.  If you request permission to acquire a secured card, they will ask where the funds are coming from.  The Chp 13 plan is supposed to take all of your income above your standard household expenses therefore you shouldn't have an extra $500 laying around for a deposit.  If you do, then you should be paying more each month to your creditors.  Tread very lightly.  I suggest being patient, cleaning up your credit files in the meantime, and don't worry about the scores for now.  They should already be in the tank and they will stay there thanks to the filing so it's no rush. 

To be fair, there is plenty of people on the board who have obtained permission to start rebuilding while in a Chapter 13. I would assume someone would budget for medical and/or auto repair costs etc, why couldn't someone take money from that to open a secured card? I agree with being careful and to not "raise any flags", but I don't think you should sit on your hands for 5 years waiting for discharge. Think of what just ONE revolver with 5 years of on time payments would do for a FICO Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great food for though guys, thanks!!

Message 8 of 16
tnvols
New Contributor

I agree 100%, just relaying what our experience was when we asked our attorney and trustee about credit cards.  Both said the same thing.  However, we didn't sit on our hands, we cleaned up our reports, we saved, and we got permission to buy a new car in our 4th year, which has been a good start on the rebuild as we now have 11 months of 100% payments so far on a new installment TL.  Our credit union in FL was very helpful and offered us a 6.5% rate for 72 months with 20% down due to our long history with them. 

I would have 4 or 5 secured cards by now if we had been given permission without causing a review of our plan and incomes.  Each state and each trustee may have different rules.  Because our incomes went up quite a bit over the past 5 years, we played it ultra conservative and avoided opening that can of worms.  We should be getting our DC paperwork in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I have just transferred some funds to my new NFCU savings acct so we are ready to pull the trigger on the secured card once the DC hits the credit reports.

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
Message 9 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

@tnvols wrote:

I agree 100%, just relaying what our experience was when we asked our attorney and trustee about credit cards.  Both said the same thing.  However, we didn't sit on our hands, we cleaned up our reports, we saved, and we got permission to buy a new car in our 4th year, which has been a good start on the rebuild as we now have 11 months of 100% payments so far on a new installment TL.  Our credit union in FL was very helpful and offered us a 6.5% rate for 72 months with 20% down due to our long history with them. 

I would have 4 or 5 secured cards by now if we had been given permission without causing a review of our plan and incomes.  Each state and each trustee may have different rules.  Because our incomes went up quite a bit over the past 5 years, we played it ultra conservative and avoided opening that can of worms.  We should be getting our DC paperwork in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I have just transferred some funds to my new NFCU savings acct so we are ready to pull the trigger on the secured card once the DC hits the credit reports.

Sounds like you have a special situation here Smiley Happy I would have played things safe as well. What I will say is don't go straight to secured with NFCU, give an unsecured card a shot first. Especially with 5 years of good payment history on an installment account. Good luck!

Btw, I hear FL is the toughest on BK's

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.