Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Card Before Ch. 7 Discharge

tag
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

Re: Secured Card Before Ch. 7 Discharge

@movinonup79 wrote:

I had this in the CC forum, but was told it would be better here.  

Is there such a thing?  I'm in a sticky situation where I will need to be travelling soon for work and then possibly moving in a couple months.  I need to rent a car when I am there, so I don't know what to do.  I was supposed to be discharged on 8/5/13, but the trustee extended it until November.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is just a piece of advice on my situation that I had. I filled out all my paper work to enter bk7 on dec 2011 and in January of 2012 the very next month I applied for and was approved for a cap 1 secured card. I haven't had my discharge or even my 341 meeting yet. So it is possible to get a credit card prior to to discharge  would I recommend it probably not. I was even able to secure a car loan but that was after the 341 meeting.

From what  I read you shouldn't get any type of credit until after the 341 meeting. In my case I hadn't even found this site yet so I didn't know.

movingonup79 just a piece of advice on my situation that I had. I filled out all my paper work to enter bk7 on dec 2011 and in January of 2012 the very next month I applied for and was approved for a cap 1 secured card. I haven't had my discharge or even my 341 meeting yet. So it is possible to get a credit card prior to to discharge  would I recommend it probably not. I was even able to secure a car loan but that was after the 341 meeting.

From what  I read you shouldn't get any type of credit until after the 341 meeting. In my case I hadn't even found this site yet so I didn't know.

Message 11 of 13
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

The 4 years I traveled while in Ch 13 without any credit cards I always rented with Enterprise.

All they required was my flight itinerary (I guess they want to make sure you are coming back?) and I rented with a debit card without any issue.

Message 12 of 13
movinonup79
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I am just worried about the "credit check" element of renting with a debit card.  I'm patiently waiting for my home loan modification to hit my credit and show all is good and I am current since May on my home loan.  Then according to the scor simulator, I should be back in a good range again!  I guess worst case scenario I have to cab it around.  At least I will be there in a couple weeks without my car, rather than in the dead of winter!

04/01/10 - TU: 659 / EX: 648 / EQ: 601 (LO Scores)
2/25/10 - EQ 588 / EX 660 (LO) / TU 633
2/9/10 - EQ 567 / EX 585 / TU 601
1/12/09 - EQ 544 / EX 570 / TU 593
12/12/09 - EQ 536 / EX 555 / TU 582
11/13/09 - EQ 536 / EX 586 / TU 566
11/03/09 - EQ 540 / EX 544 / TU 574
07/18/06 - EQ 478
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.