Contributor
svtthis

Re: Secured Card Before Ch. 7 Discharge

movinonup79 wrote:

I had this in the CC forum, but was told it would be better here.  

Is there such a thing?  I'm in a sticky situation where I will need to be travelling soon for work and then possibly moving in a couple months.  I need to rent a car when I am there, so I don't know what to do.  I was supposed to be discharged on 8/5/13, but the trustee extended it until November.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is just a piece of advice on my situation that I had. I filled out all my paper work to enter bk7 on dec 2011 and in January of 2012 the very next month I applied for and was approved for a cap 1 secured card. I haven't had my discharge or even my 341 meeting yet. So it is possible to get a credit card prior to to discharge  would I recommend it probably not. I was even able to secure a car loan but that was after the 341 meeting.

From what  I read you shouldn't get any type of credit until after the 341 meeting. In my case I hadn't even found this site yet so I didn't know.

movingonup79 just a piece of advice on my situation that I had. I filled out all my paper work to enter bk7 on dec 2011 and in January of 2012 the very next month I applied for and was approved for a cap 1 secured card. I haven't had my discharge or even my 341 meeting yet. So it is possible to get a credit card prior to to discharge  would I recommend it probably not. I was even able to secure a car loan but that was after the 341 meeting.

From what  I read you shouldn't get any type of credit until after the 341 meeting. In my case I hadn't even found this site yet so I didn't know.

Regular Contributor
TRC2k13

The 4 years I traveled while in Ch 13 without any credit cards I always rented with Enterprise.

All they required was my flight itinerary (I guess they want to make sure you are coming back?) and I rented with a debit card without any issue.

Regular Contributor
movinonup79

Thanks everyone!  I am just worried about the "credit check" element of renting with a debit card.  I'm patiently waiting for my home loan modification to hit my credit and show all is good and I am current since May on my home loan.  Then according to the scor simulator, I should be back in a good range again!  I guess worst case scenario I have to cab it around.  At least I will be there in a couple weeks without my car, rather than in the dead of winter!

04/01/10 - TU: 659 / EX: 648 / EQ: 601 (LO Scores)
2/25/10 - EQ 588 / EX 660 (LO) / TU 633
2/9/10 - EQ 567 / EX 585 / TU 601
1/12/09 - EQ 544 / EX 570 / TU 593
12/12/09 - EQ 536 / EX 555 / TU 582
11/13/09 - EQ 536 / EX 586 / TU 566
11/03/09 - EQ 540 / EX 544 / TU 574
07/18/06 - EQ 478

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}