Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured card BEFORE filing Chapter 7?

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Secured card BEFORE filing Chapter 7?

Ive did somne searching but havent found a specific answer.

Long story short, Im about to lose a Civil suit and be forced to file Chapter 7 after. Im current on 2 car loans(which I hope to reaffirm) and am in the process of paying off all my unsecured CC's so I can close them before filing and not have to inlcude them in the BK as Id like to get these cards back some day(USAA, AMex, Discover).

My question: I still have a Secured card opened with USAA from when I started my credit rebuild 3 years ago, will this get closed by USAA after my bankruptcy goes through? I dont plan on closing this one before I file as Id like to have an active line reporting besides my car loans. I was also considering getting a couple more secured cards before I file(about 120 days from now) so I can come out of the BK with some positve trade lines reporting.  Does anyone have any experience with keep Secured cards open during/post BK?  Im not sure if bank close Secured lines like they do unsecured lines after BK, even if they werent included in the BK?

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Secured card BEFORE filing Chapter 7?

No, do NOT leave your secured card open prior to filing. Do not get additional secured credit cards before filing BK. You will lose the deposits in your filing AND lose the tradeline.

Once you file, all the creditors - including those that are zero balance and secured will receive the notice of bankruptcy and close your accounts. You will have to disclose which cards are secured cards and declare the amount of the security in your bankruptcy petition. Then the deposits become an asset in your BK that goes to the creditors.

In short, close the zero balance and secured accounts prior to filing. You might then have a better shot of reopening them upon discharge.

Message 2 of 5
DVH1980
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Would I still have disclose it as in asset if the deposit amount is only 500.00? Technically the 500.00 has been put into a 2 year CD.   More than likely that will be the only funds attached to any of my financial institutions as Ive already started clearing my  checking/savings accounts and only keep minimal blances for paying bills. 

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, you have to disclose every penney and its location (bank account/CD whatever -even cash on hand) on your petition.

If you don't, its BK fraud and big trouble.

Message 4 of 5
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

Dont do it, i opened a wells fargo secured before i fiiled BK, at the time i opened it i was not considering BK...fast foward i filed never used the card and did not include it in my schedule F, at some point they find out and close it down i have yet to get my deposit back...thats a different story for a different day. Long story short i called them and they explain to me that after im D/C id get it back just been dc on 6/21 but i havent called back yet. Ironically they send me pre-approvals fo their secured card and i receive emails saying to activate my card however i have not received anthir card from them. I know im rambling but your better off just waiting...or just dont do it with WF
C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.