cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheriff Took property and car. Bank accounts frozen.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sheriff Took property and car. Bank accounts frozen.

I just got home to find out the Sheriff left legal paperwork and took all my furniture out of my apartment, towed my car and my bank notified me by text that all my bank accounts have been frozen. I was trying to save money to pay for my bankruptcy. How do I get enough money to pay for bankruptcy now? I'm sure they are going to garnish my wages next.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sheriff Took property and car. Bank accounts frozen.

I had a similar situation happen to me when I filed Chapter 13.  No sheriff, but bank accounts seized.  I would recommend trying to borrow the filing fee, and either 1) look for an attorney that includes their bankruptcy fee as part of the Chapter 13 plan, or file yourself, and once you have the notice of filing, all collection stops.  I got this notice of filing the same day, and two days after everything was calm.  I know your struggle, but these are your options.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know lawyers in our area will do a Ch13 with no money out of pocket. When I did our Ch7 had to come up with $500 to file and then another couple hundred by the 314 meeting. Our lawyer then set us on a payment plan for the rest of our fees.

Good luck to you.

Message 3 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Something significant is missing from your post. The sheriff can't seize your possessions unless there was a judgement against you by your creditor(s). For the creditors to have legal standing to order the sheriff to seize your property, they would have appeared before a judge for a hearing. You would have been notified about the hearing. Please clarify if I am wrong.

If you do not file a bankruptcy petition promptly, your possessions would be disposed of by the sheriff and your creditors will continue to come after you ... yest, garnish your wahes too ... if the proceeds from disposition of your possessions did not pay the bills in full.

Unfortunately, I doubt that any attorney will represent you while you owe them money or don't have the money to cover the filing fees. If you cannot find that money, then your only choice to to follow the path of filing the bankruptcy petition on your own. Others have done it and posted about their experiences on this forum.

Message 4 of 7
holmesnmanny
Contributor

The best thing to do is to swallow your pride and ask a few friends if you can pretty please borrow money to pay for a bk attorney. 

You should have a certain amount of days til they dispose of your stuff. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips. I have been sued ten times in court over the last five years so I'm getting it from all over.

Message 6 of 7
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear this but it's not the end f the world.File bankruptcy protection right away.Dont be too proud file and you will see life is less stressful and hopefully you will do better.We all at some point make bad decisions,get sick,lose your job etc,,,.In the future always protect yourself first and don't get in over your head.Good luck moving foward with everything 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.