cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I clean up reports BEFORE or AFTER discharge? (ch 7)

tag
OntheHorizon
Valued Member

Should I clean up reports BEFORE or AFTER discharge? (ch 7)

Two questions here:   1)I filed for chap 7 on 24 Jul, all the accounts are closed and say "ch 7" in remarks with $0 balance except one.  It says open,  "charged off/CO" and the balance is $7k.  Based upon the dates it looks like that was reported AFTER I filed.  Should I wait until I have discharge papers to get that corrected with the 3 CRAs or should I try now?  I've read where some people had success getting accounts reported correctly before they were discharged.  Which is the smartest route?  2)Will a reaffirmed account help your score?  In other words, is the company (NFCU) obligated to continue to report my payment history?  Mine is for my car and I've already signed paperwork...I have 3 kids and really needed my van.  It's current and has never been late.  Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I clean up reports BEFORE or AFTER discharge? (ch 7)

@OntheHorizon wrote:

Two questions here:   1)I filed for chap 7 on 24 Jul, all the accounts are closed and say "ch 7" in remarks with $0 balance except one.  It says open,  "charged off/CO" and the balance is $7k.  Based upon the dates it looks like that was reported AFTER I filed.  Should I wait until I have discharge papers to get that corrected with the 3 CRAs or should I try now?  I've read where some people had success getting accounts reported correctly before they were discharged.  Which is the smartest route?  2)Will a reaffirmed account help your score?  In other words, is the company (NFCU) obligated to continue to report my payment history?  Mine is for my car and I've already signed paperwork...I have 3 kids and really needed my van.  It's current and has never been late.  Thanks for the help.

I was able to dispute all of my accounts to 0 balance and IIB before discharge.  If you get it done now, your score will be higher the date of discharge.   I disputed with the CRA's and direct disputed with the CC companies at the same time.  Worked great.

From what I have seen, reaffirmed loans do start reporting again, but I don't know if it is a requirement.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently waiting for my discharge, and I've been cleaning up my credit reports.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a 50/50 with that one. Some people, like CH 7, have had luck with cleaning up before. Me on the other hand, not so much. I have a loan from a credit union that reported chargd off an entire month after I filed Ch 7. I did my disputes with all 3 and it was just verified as being correct. I actually disputed it twice and the only thing it changed was the date. So it went from late in June, to charged off in August, to charged off in October, then charged off in November. SMH I'll just wait for discharge.

On the other hand, a few other accounts that I had (credit cards that were sent to collections long before I filed) did update as IIB with $0 balance. So even on my own clean up I had 50/50. I say give it a shot. It literally took mine exactly 30 days and actually 35 for Experian to dispute so you might get a discharge before it finishes.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
Bruiser
Regular Contributor

Start now. It doesn't hurt and you may not be able to clean up everything, but it makes it easier after discharge. At least from my own personal experience.

BK 7 Filed: 08/07/15
BK 7 Discharged: 11/04/15
Discharge Scores: Equifax (572) - TransUnion (586) - Experian (511)
Goal: 700+
Credit Cards: NFCU nRewards ($500) - CapOne Platinum ($300) - CapOne QuicksilverOne Rewards ($300) - Victoria's Secret ($250) - Firestone ($1200)
Auto Loan: NFCU ($34.6K @ 7.7%)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.