cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute Chase listing a card as IIB when it wasn't my card, and wasn't IIB?

tag
MoreCowbell
Established Member

Should I dispute Chase listing a card as IIB when it wasn't my card, and wasn't IIB?

First I want to say thank you to everyone for posting questions and answers on these forums-- I've been reading for a few months and this site is incredibly helpful. 

I filed Ch. 7 in June, had my meeting of creditors at the end of July. Just pulled a credit report (which neither I nor my attorney thought to do while I was filing-- I was trying to get rid of over $200k in medical debt and my 4 credit cards were kind of an afterthought). I saw two cards on there that weren't mine, a Capital One card and a Chase card. Both cards belong to an ex, who added me as an authorized user years and years ago (we've been apart for a few years, too). I asked him to get my name removed, because I didn't want to be still financially tangled with him, even though I probably could've used the long credit history. Capital One took me off, but Chase wouldn't; they claim that *I* was the primary cardholder and HE was the authorized user. On my credit report they list it as a "joint account" and as being closed by them AND "included in bankruptcy." 

Questions: 

Is it worth disputing on the report, or calling Chase, to take my name off the account? I did some research online and it seems like any message I leave on my credit report saying that the Chase account wasn't mine, and wasn't included in my bankruptcy, might stay on my credit report even longer than the bankruptcy itself. My reason for considering it is because  it makes me look like I bailed on one more credit card than I did. My attorney thought that future creditors wouldn't care about that. 

When I get my discharge, would it be worth sending that to Chase or the credit unions to show that Chase was not discharged in bankruptcy? (I assume that it won't be, because I didn't include it in my filing, though my attorney says that the filing itself is not determinative of what got discharged). 

One more slightly related question. I've been trying to determine how to rebuild my credit after discharge, and it seems that a lot of people on these forums favor Capital One for that. (I'm hoping they won't hold a grudge that I just got myself removed as an authorized user from my ex's card). I was going to just apply for the secured card, assuming that they wouldn't offer me an unsecured card. But I'd hate to pass up the chance that they MIGHT. Do they ever check a secured card application to see if it might qualify for unsecured? Should I just wait to see if they offer me anything after discharge (it seems like they sometimes jump on that). 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.