Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute?

tag
armymom
Regular Contributor

Should I dispute?

Hello all, I have been lurking and doing alot of reading on this forum for quite a while.  I filed for BK on 07/07 and it was discharged on 10/08.  The problem I'm having is my EX CR through MyFico is showing late payments on most of my accounts that are IIB as of  10/08,  my discharge dates. Prior to my 10/08 the accounts are listed as closed.  It's like my BK has woken a sleeping giant.   When I go directly to EX to dispute only 2 of my 7 accounts are showing late payments as of my discharge date.  Should I still dispute even though the accounts show no lates when I go to EX?

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Should I dispute?

I would attempt to clean it. Just be warned that it will not be an easy battle lol Good luck!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I recommend that you pull all three of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and verify every tradeline reporting. All tradelines included in the discharge unless you have tradelines established post discharge. If you had late payments on any tradeline before the bankruptcy application, that history is valid and creditors will likely not remove/change same. All discharged tradelines should be reporting IIB and $0 balance. Send a letter to each of the offending creditors and include a copy of your discharge. Request written confirmation that their illegal reporting has been corrected or removed.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditors should not report any delinquency after the file date.  

According to the FTC Advisory Opinion Letter to Lovern dated 4/24/1998, the manner in which an account is reported to the credit bureaus should follow the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which states the following when addressing charged off accounts:

Section 607(b) of the FCRA requires credit bureaus "to follow reasonable procedures to assure maximum possible accuracy of the information concerning the individual about whom the report relates." In our view, it is not a reasonable procedure to label an account that has been discharged in bankruptcy as "charged off as bad debt" if the account was open and not charged off when the consumer filed bankruptcy. Such a designation would be inaccurate or misleading, because it would indicate that the creditor had written off the account at the time of bankruptcy when it had not in fact done so.

Source:  https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advisory-opinions/advisory-opinion-lovern-04-24-98

While creditors are required to charge-off bankrupted debts for their internal accounting, they are NOT supposed to report that charge-off to the credit bureaus, according to federal law.  It should also be noted that negative reporting on a discharged debt after the filing of the bankruptcy case is in violation of the permanent injunction of the bankruptcy discharge. 

Good luck.  

Message 4 of 5
armymom
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies all.  I pulled all three CR's through myannualcreditreport.com earlier this month and all tradelines except one are showing IIB and  zero balance.  My Sams Discover is still showing on TU and EQ as CO and I have disputed it on both.  I began getting alerts on myfico showing lates on EX for October on most of my accounts that IIB.   I will start with sending letters with a copy of my discharge to my creditors and disputing it on EX.  

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.