cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I repay NFCU after CH7 discharge ??????????????

tag
rara124

Should I repay NFCU after CH7 discharge ??????????????

Hello all,

I am not sure if I am on the correct board or not but I am wondering the following. In Feb 2014 my husband and I filed CH7, it was discharged June 2014. In the CH7 I had a $1400 NFCU personal loan that was not affirmed. Well I considering voluntary pay NFCU to get back in their good graces and apply for an auto loan. Do you  think once I repay the loan that I should apply for an auto loan with them?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I repay NFCU after CH7 discharge ??????????????

If you ever want a chance to do business with them again then I would pay them off, am not sure you could immediately get an auto loan you would need to talk to them about their policies. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

If you ever want a chance to do business with them again then I would pay them off, am not sure you could immediately get an auto loan you would need to talk to them about their policies. Good luck Smiley Happy

+1

Message 3 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

NFCU is like gold for us BK'ers

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 8
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

NFCU is like gold for us BK'ers

agreed......I'd pay a large sum to get back in their good graces.  It'll come back to pay you tenfold.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 5 of 8
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

sucks.. both my dad and my grandpa were in the service.. my dad in the army and grandpa in the air force.  Neither one are alive anymore, so that doesnt help me get an account at nfcu Smiley Wink

oh well..

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay a discharged debt? Absolutely not in this case! 

Of course, it's your money. You can spend it any way that you like.

But since you asked for advice in an open foruum, I want to give you my thoughts.

Your discharged debt is not enforceable against you in a law court. But you still have a moral obligation. You are saying you will fulfill your moral obligation ONLY if the CU then gives you a reward.

People should not expect nor demand a reward just for doing the right thing.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with me?

There is nothing wrong with paying a debt that you have already discharged in bankruptcy. In fact, I can tell you that the bankruptcy law specifically allows you to do so. But do it for purely moral reasons because it makes you feel good.  

But don't pay a discharged debt because you hope they will reward you with credit again. 

If you have a spare $1,000, keep it for an emergency. Or use it towards a down payment on a car. The more you can put down, the better loan terms you may get.

It is easy to throw away money. The more valuable lesson is learning to hang on to it. 

What if the CU takes your money but still won't trust you with a new loan? You can't hold them to a verbal promise even if somebody there tells you that they would be glad to give you an auto loan if you have paid them back. Are you going to be OK with that? Or will you feel ripped off?

The most important lesson about credit is that credit equals trust. Trust is a moral perogative, not a financial one.

Paying off a discharged debt when you have a motive other than "doing the right thing" doesn't get anybody an "A" in my sunday school class.

In fact, it also gets an "F" in my personal finance class - it's a big a waste of money.

Will you please let us know what you decided to do?

Message 7 of 8
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pay a discharged debt? Absolutely not in this case! 

Of course, it's your money. You can spend it any way that you like.

But since you asked for advice in an open foruum, I want to give you my thoughts.

Your discharged debt is not enforceable against you in a law court. But you still have a moral obligation. You are saying you will fulfill your moral obligation ONLY if the CU then gives you a reward.

People should not expect nor demand a reward just for doing the right thing.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with me?

There is nothing wrong with paying a debt that you have already discharged in bankruptcy. In fact, I can tell you that the bankruptcy law specifically allows you to do so. But do it for purely moral reasons because it makes you feel good.  

But don't pay a discharged debt because you hope they will reward you with credit again. 

If you have a spare $1,000, keep it for an emergency. Or use it towards a down payment on a car. The more you can put down, the better loan terms you may get.

It is easy to throw away money. The more valuable lesson is learning to hang on to it. 

What if the CU takes your money but still won't trust you with a new loan? You can't hold them to a verbal promise even if somebody there tells you that they would be glad to give you an auto loan if you have paid them back. Are you going to be OK with that? Or will you feel ripped off?

The most important lesson about credit is that credit equals trust. Trust is a moral perogative, not a financial one.

Paying off a discharged debt when you have a motive other than "doing the right thing" doesn't get anybody an "A" in my sunday school class.

In fact, it also gets an "F" in my personal finance class - it's a big a waste of money.

Will you please let us know what you decided to do?

If it was any other lender i may agree with you.  NFCU is a different animal and for us that have actually gone through the BK process on the other side of the "lawyers" desk, they're invaluable.  It would have taken me YEARS to establish the amount and kind of credit that NFCU has entrusted me with.  My rebuilding efforts would be hampered severly had it not been for this lender.  I think you're statements are pretty blanket in nature and you should educate yourself on the rebuilding path of those who have gone through a BK before giving "free legal advice".  These board have a wealth of information from real world people.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.