cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I send letters to creditors BEFORE I file?

tag
amber78
Contributor

Should I send letters to creditors BEFORE I file?

I retained my lawyer and know that I qualify for chapter 7 BK.  I am so very anxious to get started... I have heard of people working on things before they actually file so they have everything in place as soon as possible.

Should I send letters to my creditors now letting them know I have retained counsel and will be filing BK and giving them my lawyer info?  Not sure if they woudl be willing to put my amounts to 0 or change things on the credit report at this point.. but Im feeling very motivated and want to get started...

If letters are a good idea... does anyone have a sample that works well?  My creditors are mainly cc, but I also have a few medical bills.. (as well as two houses that are pre-foreclosure, but I doubt sending anything to them would do anything)

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I send letters to creditors BEFORE I file?

Personally, I would wait until they start calling you to pay - at which point share with them that you've retained legal counsel and inform them that all issues regarding this matter go through them.

If you've stopped paying your debts, you will see them report on your CR...30 days/60 days/90 days late - they will not update the account to IIB until you actually file.  They will do nothing based on the fact based that you intend to start filing.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I send letters to creditors BEFORE I file?

I do not see the logic behind sending letters to creditors telling them you will be filing a bankruptcy petition? Doing so make no sense to me amd I recommend that you be patient and follow your attorneys advice until your discharge is granted by the court. You can't be so impatient about rebuilding your credit profile. Patience is the key to success at that task.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.