cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try to recon NFCU cc decline?

tag
jenne223
New Contributor

Re: Should I try to recon NFCU cc decline?

So today a rep called and left a message saying she wanted to welcome me to NFCU and some other stuff, but wanted a call back. She also sent an email.  I tried calling her back 2x but it went to voicemail, so I'll call tomorrow.  Is this something that usually happens?  Do you think I should ask her what is in the TU report that is making them decline my app for cc? I have not had an opportunity to call a rep nor have I received the letter in the mail yet.  Thanks in advance.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jenne223 wrote:

So today a rep called and left a message saying she wanted to welcome me to NFCU and some other stuff, but wanted a call back. She also sent an email.  I tried calling her back 2x but it went to voicemail, so I'll call tomorrow.  Is this something that usually happens?  Do you think I should ask her what is in the TU report that is making them decline my app for cc? I have not had an opportunity to call a rep nor have I received the letter in the mail yet.  Thanks in advance.

The rep that called you is an outbound member service rep. that is primarily there to cross-sell additional products/services. You could ask her about your declined application, however there's a high probability that she does not have access, and will need to transfer you to (or call herself) credit card lending. You will most likely get no more than what the letter will tell you. It can't hurt though.

Message 22 of 25
jenne223
New Contributor

So I finally got the letter today and it's due to the bankruptcy they won't approve me.  I talked to NCFU yesterday and the cc rep was not helpful at all, so I decided to just wait for the letter.  I only have 1 secured card (SDFCU) since maybe July or August, so I will apply with NCFU shortly for their secured card.  I did burn a lot of cc's in my bankruptcy so I will assume they need more time before they let me into their fold.  Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

Message 23 of 25
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@jenne223 wrote:

So I finally got the letter today and it's due to the bankruptcy they won't approve me.  I talked to NCFU yesterday and the cc rep was not helpful at all, so I decided to just wait for the letter.  I only have 1 secured card (SDFCU) since maybe July or August, so I will apply with NCFU shortly for their secured card.  I did burn a lot of cc's in my bankruptcy so I will assume they need more time before they let me into their fold.  Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

Don't feel bad. After my bankruptcy, noone wanted to give me a credit card or loan. SDFCU is an excellent CU, and I have a card with them that is my second lowest rate. Even though it doesn't graduate, you're in with them. After a year of solid history with them, app for the unsecured version. If you decided to get a secured card with NavyFederal, don't get anymore secured cards.

You should also read SoulMaster's guide to 700 in 24 months. It's a great guide.

Message 24 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

@jenne223 wrote:

I had to start with a secured card from NFCU too! The positive to it is if you can get an unsecured one before it graduates you will have 2 NFCU cards Smiley Happy Stay positive

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.