Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Situation with Macy's card closed after DC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Situation with Macy's card closed after DC

So I’m not sure to go with this situation on my Macy’s card. I have/had a Macy’s store card and I expected them to close it at some point because it was backed by Citi, and about 50% of my CC debt discharged was with Citi issued cards. My DC came through on 11/9, so I used my Macy’s card during that week, and due to the cycle date, a bill cut with charges. I figure I would use it to get some positive payment history. Fast forward a week, and I went to check the bal and make a payment, and the website won’t let me access it. I call in, and it directs me to Macy’s Recovery group: The rep advised me that since I filed BK, they stopped all access to the account, they couldn’t send any bills, allow me to make a payment over the phone/store/mail, etc. I told the rep, the bal was created after I filed, AND after DC, but she wouldn’t do anything. Asked to speak with someone in the BK dept, but the rep refused and said she’d send an email to them to follow up. Never heard from them of course.

My question now is what’s the best plan of action for this account? Why would they still have the same restrictions that are needed during a BK, if I’m fully discharged, even on a closed account? The balance is small enough that I can and want to pay it in full, but they refuse to give me an option. Since the charges were created after filing, I’m know full well that they are not dischargeable and I certainly don’t want this to go to some OCA or cause issues with my rebuild. Also, a full cycle has reported since this all happened and I have seen no reporting activity to any of my CRs, showing it closed, a bal, nada. During one of my calls I was finally able to get the current balance from the rep, so should I just send in the payment amount to the address on the last statement or keep taking with the reps on the phone until they make a change of some sort? This account just seems to sort of be in this blackhole, limbo state and I want to make sure I resolve it cleanly.

Sorry if this is confusing, and as always, thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Situation with Macy's card closed after DC

Similar issue happened with our Kohls card, almost exact.

I just went to a store and paid the balance because I knew the charges were after I filed. Try making a payment in store and see what happens. If nothing else, send a check for the amount of your purchase. If they cash it keep the cancelled check for your records with your BK paperwork.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks bstone. I think i'll try that and go into the store to see if anything happens when they try to apply a payment. LIke you siad, i can just send in a check if nothing else. 

Message 3 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just so you know, your card is closed regardless, and you won't get it reopened. They have a strict policy for Bloomingdales/Macys , and that you WILL NOT be considered for another card until 4 years POST DC.

So, you have some waiting to do, just like me. Im 2 now,. Don't even try to bother calling anymore, because you will waste time, its a KNOWN thing....4 yrs post.....period, no exceptions. and for gods sake, don't app for it, because you will be declined for 4 yrs. just an FYI
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Pizza, I wasn't aware of the 4 year blacklist, so I def won't be apping for Macys. I'm not so much a fan of Bloomys, so no love lost. I called them back and got someone who actually sounded like the cared (probably not, but they did a good job faking lol) and the rep advised me that since the balance was on the card prior to them receiving the DC notice, Citi includes it in BK and writes it off. He did say I'll have to pay it zero if I want to have a card in the futures. So idk, at this point, If I can't have a card for 4 years, there's no incentive to pay the bal until then, or at min year 3. 

Message 5 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Pizza, I wasn't aware of the 4 year blacklist, so I def won't be apping for Macys. I'm not so much a fan of Bloomys, so no love lost. I called them back and got someone who actually sounded like the cared (probably not, but they did a good job faking lol) and the rep advised me that since the balance was on the card prior to them receiving the DC notice, Citi includes it in BK and writes it off. He did say I'll have to pay it zero if I want to have a card in the futures. So idk, at this point, If I can't have a card for 4 years, there's no incentive to pay the bal until then, or at min year 3. 

no, dont pay it. Youll be able to get it back after 4 yrs DC. Macys was IIB for me as well, and I didnt believe them on their 4 yr policy, but after like 6 HP's, and countless hours to the EO and what not....I finally believed them, LOL.. Its a known fact.  They told me Im golden after my 4 yr mark, and they would approve me again since Ive already rebuilt.  Thats another thing they wanted to see..Smiley Wink  Good luck to you!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.