cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small student loan balance demanded after CH13 discharge?

tag
MattInBham1979
Established Member

Small student loan balance demanded after CH13 discharge?

Please forgive this cross-post.  I'm duplicate posting this message to Bankrupcty forum since it involves both a CH13 discharged case and a student loan.  I'm looking for any helpful advice the forums may have - thanks!

Hi,

I have sort of a complicated student loan question.

I had a student loan account that was included in my Chapter 13 case back in 2009.

As part of that case, the student loan was paid back in full (as I understood it) through a course of monthly disbursements by the trustee, which all concluded fairly early in my case.

Presently, there is no student loan account on my credit reports, as the account would be way past 7 years of being in bad status.  The account does not appear on any of the bureaus at all.

I have a new letter demanding payment of less than $150.00 for remaining principle and a few dollars of interest.  This is from the "US Department of Education".

Frankly, if just paying this amount will make it go away once and for all, I'm happy to do that and can do so immediately.

However, I don't want to pay it and then find that it somehow resurrects a defaulted account onto my credit report.

Anyone have experience with this?  Any suggestions?

If it's relevant, the NSLDS system does reflect this same amount of principle and interest still owed.  The various payments made by my CH13 case are reflected there as well.

I'm curious as to whether or not they gave up their right to the remaining amount by failing to file for it properly in full under the CH13 plan, but I really don't want to fight this as long as just paying them to go away will not result in negative credit reporting.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Small student loan balance demanded after CH13 discharge?

Similar, but not really....we had a car paid by the trustee. After we were discharged I called to ask when we would get the title. They proceeded to tell me as soon as I sent them the balance of six hundred something dollars. I called my attorney and they said that I needed to call and speak to someone in the bk department. There was no balance and I got my title quickly.

Don't just pay it. Call and speak to someone. If that gets you nowhere call the attorney that handled your case.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.