Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stagnant Credit Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stagnant Credit Scores

Good morning:

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy last February (its was discharged in May). I included 2 car notes, a judgement for a voluntary repossesion, a capital one 360 account, capital one credit card, and various utility bills in it. 

Post-bankruptcy, I applied for a Navy Federal Credit Card- $500 SL; and a Care Credit Card (Synchrony Bank) -$500 SL.

I still have my federal student loans (which are still in good standing because I am a student). 

That is pretty much all that is on my credit- the two cards and the student loans, but my score is pretty stagnant. Prior to filing for the bankruptcy, my score was low 500's; it is now stuck at 620 (FICO) and has been for 3-4 months now. 

Can I please have opinions/input on what else I need to be doing? 

I have also being receiving prequalification letters from Capital One on a weekly basis, but I ignore them because I figured that I should lay off on opening new credit cards. 

Please let me know what I should do; OR what you have done to get things moving?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stagnant Credit Scores

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning:

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy last February (its was discharged in May). I included 2 car notes, a judgement for a voluntary repossesion, a capital one 360 account, capital one credit card, and various utility bills in it. 

Post-bankruptcy, I applied for a Navy Federal Credit Card- $500 SL; and a Care Credit Card (Synchrony Bank) -$500 SL.

I still have my federal student loans (which are still in good standing because I am a student). 

That is pretty much all that is on my credit- the two cards and the student loans, but my score is pretty stagnant. Prior to filing for the bankruptcy, my score was low 500's; it is now stuck at 620 (FICO) and has been for 3-4 months now. 

Can I please have opinions/input on what else I need to be doing? 

I have also being receiving prequalification letters from Capital One on a weekly basis, but I ignore them because I figured that I should lay off on opening new credit cards. 

Please let me know what I should do; OR what you have done to get things moving?

Thanks!

What is your utilization on the two credit cards?

You do want a third credit card to maximize that component of your score, but you'll want to make sure your utilization is optimized before applying. One card should be reporting $0 and the other should report a small balance 1-9% of your credit limit on that card.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

erNYRe: Stagnant Credit Scores

Thank you SteelerNYC, 

My utilization is around 30% on my NF card, and 0% on my Care Credit Card. 

So the ultimate goal is to keep one card pretty low, and then at the point, apply for say a Capital One card? If I do that, I am hoping for a higher limit, because having 3 cards with only a $500 limit isn't really worth much. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.