cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting the Journey back to 700 (or better)

tag
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Starting the Journey back to 700 (or better) UPDATE 5 months post D/C

So just a quick update to my rebuild journey. I am now 5 months post d/c. Everything is reporting correctly, my student loans are once again reporting positively and low inquires.  My scores have come up to all mid 600's in only a matter of months, yessss! 

I tried for a CLI with the Cap1 cards after the 3rd statement and it was a no go. After the 4th statement I tried again and was given CLI's of $150 and $200. lol.  Admittedly, I don't use the cards as much as I should. I used one pretty heavily around Christmas and then paid it off and have only made small, recurring charges on them since. I just have to use them more to get those limits up.  Cap1 also prequaled me for a car loan of up to $30,000.

Earlier this week I tried the Discover IT prequal. To my surprise it came up with an offer for the Discover IT with an APR ~11% and 0% introductory rate for the first 12 months. I had burned Walmart Discover so I was a little hesitant on this one, however I pulled the trigger and and app'd anyways.  I didn't get the initial offer it gave me but it countered with a Discover IT, 23% APR (which is fine since I wouldn't carry a balance), no AF, 5% cashback, and a SL of $1,800.  I'll take it!  Back in with door with Discover and a free FICO score! Whoo hoo! Does anyone know the CLI tricks and tips with Discover?

While I haven't been app crazy, I do frequently check non-pull prequals for Barclays and Home Depot. Barclays I burned, and it constantly recommends I apply for the the Arrival Plus or the Ring card. Haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger there. Home Depot keeps telling me they can't match me with any offers. 

I've got the two Cap1's, Military Star, and Discover IT cards. I think I'm good on cards now. I have my student loans. Overall, I think I'm sitting good. The car I drive is my mom's that I took over the payments for but is still in her name. I have been considering trying for a loan and getting it in my name. No real reason other than I'm an adult and it SHOULD be in my name not my momma's. lol.  I don't need the installment loan for credit mix purposes. Any thoughts on this? Cap1 also prequaled me for a car loan of up to $30,000. Not sure if I can use that to buy a used car, but at least I know the option is there. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.