Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Cosigner Billed During Bankruptcy

tag
sunday

Student Loan Cosigner Billed During Bankruptcy

Hello all!

I'm in the middle of my bankruptcy, and my student loan provider just billed my cosigner for the loan (Sallie Mae, ugh). I have no intentions of removing my student loans as debts to be paid, but did not think they would turn to billing my cosigner. Has anyone else have this happen before? What did you do in this situation? My cosigner (mother), is being very nasty about it and I just want it over and done with.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loan Cosigner Billed During Bankruptcy

@sunday wrote:

Hello all!

I'm in the middle of my bankruptcy, and my student loan provider just billed my cosigner for the loan (Sallie Mae, ugh). I have no intentions of removing my student loans as debts to be paid, but did not think they would turn to billing my cosigner. Has anyone else have this happen before? What did you do in this situation? My cosigner (mother), is being very nasty about it and I just want it over and done with.

Thanks!

They can't bill you right now, so why wouldn't they bill the cosigner?  That's what co-signing is:  100% and TOTAL responsibility for the debt.

Your mom is being nasty b/c she regrets co-signing, it makes her feel pretty stupid to have done that.  In reality, she shouldn't have; and she knows it.  But, it's too late for that. And if they're late, it's probably ruining her credit, too.

You can't remove student loans in the BK anyway, so your "no intentions to remove the loans" is moot.  Make on-time monthly payments on your Student Loans while you're in the BK and they'll stop billing your mother.  Otherwise, give her the money and let her make the payment for you.

Good luck,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 3
sunday

Re: Student Loan Cosigner Billed During Bankruptcy

While I appreciate your response, please chill out with the attitude. There are several reasons why folks decide to file bankruptcy, and it just so happens that unfortunately my parents are the reason and I've decided not to prosecute them but start over. No need to respond further.

She cosigned my loans because she used money I'd saved for school to...well, I'm not totally sure what she did with it quite honestly.

I've never stopped paying the loans in the problem--I've simply been mailing it in, then calling for confirmation. There is no reason to bill her for a zero balance for the month. *I'm* very aware that they can't be removed in bankruptcy, it is her nastiness to ignore what I've been saying on the matter (re: she's in the clear and not liable for them) that has me in a bit of a conundrum.

Giving her money for anything is out of the question. Sadly, the kid is more responsible than the parent in this in this instance.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.