Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Default

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Default

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old with student loan debt. I've got $20,000 worth of loans consolidated and another $17,000 of private loans from Sallie Mae that have gone into default as of July 31st. The debt collector has offered me a settlement of $9,600 but at the moment I cannot pay this. I have finally landed my first professional job where I'll be making $48,000 annually. However, I cannot pay the $9,600 at the moment and by the time I can save up that amount working it will be too late. My credit score is so bad from missing all of my payments that obtaining a line of credit to pay off the defaulted loan is next to impossible. I am trying to gather all of my options and have considered filling chapter 13 bankruptcy. If anyone could give me some advice on the situation I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you, 

Kyle

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan Default

Have you considered rehabilitation of your student loans? Seems like it might work for you here since you have steady income.

In a nutshell, rehabbing means you make a payment arrangement and make payments or 12 months. After 12 months of on time payments, your student loans are brought current and the lates are removed.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 7
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old with student loan debt. I've got $20,000 worth of loans consolidated and another $17,000 of private loans from Sallie Mae that have gone into default as of July 31st. The debt collector has offered me a settlement of $9,600 but at the moment I cannot pay this. I have finally landed my first professional job where I'll be making $48,000 annually. However, I cannot pay the $9,600 at the moment and by the time I can save up that amount working it will be too late. My credit score is so bad from missing all of my payments that obtaining a line of credit to pay off the defaulted loan is next to impossible. I am trying to gather all of my options and have considered filling chapter 13 bankruptcy. If anyone could give me some advice on the situation I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you, 

Kyle

Rehab! Rehab! rehab!

First of all, it's unlikely that bankruptcy will help you with your student loans as they are rarely dischargable.

You reconsolidated your fed loans, but under what plan? Look into the income-based payment plan, as it's the lowest monthly payment option the fed has. Works out to be 15 percent (10 percent if Obama gets his way with it) of your discretionary income. So, if you make 20k, you subtract the poverty level form that 20k (about $11,400 for a single person I believe) and you would be paying 15% of the remaining $8600 per year, or about $100 per month.

Call Sallie Mae, and ask them about options to rehab their loans. I've found that student loan companies are VERY good about working with people to pay their loans. Have you asked them for a forebearance until you get on your feet? TALK TO THEM! Ignoring them does not make the problem go away.

Good luck!

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Duke84
Regular Contributor

I am currently rehabbing some student loans now, am 29, and just came out of a bankruptcy.

I would recommend that you rehab the loans first. It goes from 9-12 months, depending on the institution. Once the rehab is done, get on the Income-Based or Income Contingent plan.

Unless you have more debt, like credit cards, declaring bankruptcy will only drop your score and postpone the loan payments.

Hope this helps.

Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went into BK13 ($35k in CC debt) with $50k in student loans.  Student loans could not be IIB so were put on hold with interest accruing over the 5 years we were in the BK13.  Came out of the BK13 and now I'm looking at $75k in student loans.  Doh!  So, yes... I echo the others here.  Rehab those loans then get on an income sensitive payment.  You will *not* regret it.

Message 5 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went into BK13 ($35k in CC debt) with $50k in student loans.  Student loans could not be IIB so were put on hold with interest accruing over the 5 years we were in the BK13.  Came out of the BK13 and now I'm looking at $75k in student loans.  Doh!  So, yes... I echo the others here.  Rehab those loans then get on an income sensitive payment.  You will *not* regret it.

Wow.... $25k?

I had 5 small student loans (total $4500) and my interest accrual was minimal if anything at all for the 4 years of my 13...  I pay $58 a month at 2% to Sallie Mae.... Much better than credit rebuilder loans.. LOL

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boy I wish, that 2% sounds great...  Ours (my wife and I) are through a local student loan company at 6.5%  *sigh*  25 years @ $798/month...  *NOT* looking forward to that..  In all reality though its not much more than we were paying on the BK.  Just wasn't planning on doing that for the rest of my life.  Oh well... Like you said, at least that will rebuild my credit eventually... lol

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.