Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans Chap 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans Chap 7

I checked my credit report a week after my bankruptcy discharge.  Under my student loan creditor, the balance is -0-, and the account is "closed."  When I go to the student loan website, it says there's a balance due of -0-.  Is this discharged (I could only be so lucky)?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loans Chap 7

Who was the creditor?

I had a student loan with Sallie Mae that was charged off and then went with Navient for 4 years. 

I filed for Chapter 7, then discharged, now my Navient shows a zero balance.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 2 of 4
firegrl607
Established Member

I have the same thing going on. I am now 3 weeks post discharge. All 3 CAs say closed. EX updated to show balances again last week but still says closed but current. Other 2 still showing closed, zero balance and IIB. I am hoping they update soon, I could use the boost for my scores.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was discharged July 3rd.  All credit reports show (even to this day) account closed with a 0 balance.  Even after I was officially discharged it still took about a week or more for the original student loan lender to receive that notification.  In fact, even after speaking with the old lender I received a "Notice Prior to Wage Withholding" from them basically letting me know that they know my BK was discharged. I remained in contact with the old and new vendor and a new loan is being set up and no wages are being garnished! 

Although there are some cases I would imagine things could slip through the cracks and your loan is "forgotten" or discharged, I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting letters from the loan provider trying to set up a new loan.  To play it safe I would stay in front of it so it doesn't take you by surprise.  

Edit: My student loans are subsidized by the gov't - I had no private loans.  I believe private loans are dischargeable. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.