Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans Randomly IIB - Only One CRA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans Randomly IIB - Only One CRA

Got a weird update from Credit Karma yesterday after I had submitted some disputes for my bankruptcy. 

In my letter & list of IIB accounts, I never mentioned my student loans because they're exempt, yet when they applied the IIB changes to my report, they removed the balance from my USDOE/Great Lakes account and listed it as IIB. 

I'm fine with it since that was the only account I'd ever had with late payments and it bumped my score 40+ points...but I didn't know if this is normal? Will the account re-report with the info later? 

Any help much appreciated! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Student Loans Randomly IIB - Only One CBA

Hoping someone else will chime in but I think this is very normal.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me. Equifax and Trans union have IIB all of my student loans. I don't if this is good or bad thing?

Message 3 of 7
holmesnmanny
Contributor

I actually never even disputed my student loans that have always been in forebearance but student loans themselves shouldn't show up as IIB because even though you are required to list them in your bankruptcy they are not included in the bankruptcy in terms of discharge so this is a weird issue. Not really sure what to make of it. I would think it will never change back unless you complain about it not being correct, which, technically, I would say IIB is incorrect since they aren't really included in bankruptcy. 

If it were me I would just leave it and expect it to be fine. As long as you don't miss any more payments you should be fine going forward. (knock on wood)

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 4 of 7
holmesnmanny
Contributor

Another thing to add is that I think if you have lates it's best to try to get them to IIB it but if you don't have any lates it might be best to leave it undisputed as I did. When you start paying on them the account could be good for the score. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans Randomly IIB - Only One CRA

@Darkman, Did you just send in the list of creditors to the CRA? 

I got my equifax completion returned to me and they did everything I asked, but they didn't require a copy of the creditors list in the dispute, TU did though. 

Also, how long ago was yours discharged and the credit report updated with them missing? 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans Randomly IIB - Only One CRA

Yes i did send EQ & TU a list of creditors but they didn't actually request it. I sent them on my own just in case. I recieved my discharge on 11/09 and started to disputing immediately afterward. Acutally both reports were updated within like two weeks. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.