Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans

Anyone here had success with proving undue hardship for student loan discharge? If so, how did you do it?

My 341 is next week and my credit report just updated to show my student loans were closed with a zero balance. Will these come back after the discharge is finalized?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loans

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone here had success with proving undue hardship for student loan discharge? If so, how did you do it?

My 341 is next week and my credit report just updated to show my student loans were closed with a zero balance. Will these come back after the discharge is finalized?

If these are govt backed loans yes they will survive BK. I have not gone thru any process to get SLs written off but I have read threads, 99% of the time it requires full and permanent disability to get them nullified.  If these are private bank backed loans they will be discharged with the rest of your debt.

Message 2 of 5
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

My loans are being discharged through TPD.  You submit an application outside of any bankruptcy proceedings, as it has no bearing on if it gets discharged or not.  After they approve it, it takes 3 years from that date to be discharged. 

I just had an alert the other day that Sallie Mar closed my loan accounts.   That means they were transferred somewhere else but it's not on my credit.  I don't know if they are going to report my loans to the CRAs because there are no payments involved.

The downside to this is that I heard you have to pay taxes as if it was income.  Not sure how that's going to work yet though.

Message 3 of 5
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Whats TPD? Is this something I may qualify for?

@Taoron wrote:

My loans are being discharged through TPD.  You submit an application outside of any bankruptcy proceedings, as it has no bearing on if it gets discharged or not.  After they approve it, it takes 3 years from that date to be discharged. 

I just had an alert the other day that Sallie Mar closed my loan accounts.   That means they were transferred somewhere else but it's not on my credit.  I don't know if they are going to report my loans to the CRAs because there are no payments involved.

The downside to this is that I heard you have to pay taxes as if it was income.  Not sure how that's going to work yet though.

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 4 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:

Whats TPD? Is this something I may qualify f

I'd never heard it either, but Google is actually pretty good - Total and Permanent Disability discharge.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.