cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans reported as discharged in Chapter 7???

tag
noochski
Contributor

Student loans reported as discharged in Chapter 7???

I recently filed BK7 and now my CRs state "Debt included in or discharged through Bankruptcy Chapter 7, 11, or 12" and all balances are reported as closed and $0.00. I have been making my monthly payments since filing because I was under the impression they would not be discharged. Is this only temporary until my BK7 is finalized?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Royzo

Re: Student loans reported as discharged in Chapter 7???

Many companies once they receive the crditor letter for BK will list the accounts as closed and included in BK before the bankruptcy is discharged.  You must have included the loans in your BK .  I would call them and find out your loan status.

Starting Score: 562-October 2012 (BK discharged)
Current Score: 647
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Student loans are NOT discharged under bankruptcy except for very few circumstances, generally extreme hardship situation. It is very unlikely that your loans were discharged. Mine also reported as IIB for a few months before the status was updated. I would definitely continue to pay them if I were you.

EDIT: I just reread your post and realize you haven't been discharged yet. The loan status will change when your discharge is complete. I'm not sure if you woud have negative marks if you miss payment on a student loan while in BK proceedings but I personally won't take the risk. I'm so thankful for the fresh start BK gave me. I've worked to ensure I havent had a single late since I filed and I've seen a lot of great benefits to having good credit Smiley Happy

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 8
noochski
Contributor

I received my discharge on 7/8/13. I have already gotten 2 secured cards(Open Sky & Merrick) which have yet to show on my CR. My student loans still show as IIB, I plan to pull my annual CR in September to verify all info is correct. After filing BK7 my score dropped to 542, just ran my report via USAA and it gained 48 points to 590. My student loans are reported as $0.00 and IIB, when they update to paying as agreed what affect will that have on my score? Will it go up or down?

Message 4 of 8
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Call them and let them know that your loans are not reporting correctly. I had to do the same. I continued to pay me and my wife's loan through CH7 BK and were prepaid for a year but I still pay every month to get rid of them.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Message 5 of 8
noochski
Contributor

What effect did it have on your score when updated your reports?

Message 6 of 8
Comet21
Regular Contributor

I have been using the mobile site so I have not been able to update my signature. But my scores have increased SIGNIFICANTLY but I would not say it is because of my student loans alone. I also reaffirmed a mortgage and car loan, which has since been paid off. I have a high score of 698 EX, but I found that out after being declined on a Auto Refi because of BK. Continue to pay ALL of your bills on time and be patient.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Message 7 of 8
noochski
Contributor

I called Fed Loans today and the CSR that I spoke with told me that my loans will remain in forbearance until I request in writing that they be updated. . . Huh? She told me I didn't have to pay until they are removed from forbearance. So. . . what if i never write them a letter requesting an update on the status? lol. . . I'm going to get the letter sent out ASAP but it's just a curious policy if you ask me.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.