Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans wiped out in chap 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans wiped out in chap 7

So my chap 7 discharge date is Feb 16, and I was glancing at my credit report when I noticed that ALL of my student loan debt had been cleared out and the accts closed.
This was a substantial amount, so I'm not complaining.
Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loans wiped out in chap 7

I am waiting for my ch 7 discharge as well, and my Navient account shows IIB, 0 balance and closed. From what I have read in this forum, after the discharge, Navient will update the tradeline and bring it to open status. That makes sense since I can see my loan details, make payment etc on Navient website, though they have put my account on forebearance for a year with no payment due at this time.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am waiting for my ch 7 discharge as well, and my Navient account shows IIB, 0 balance and closed. From what I have read in this forum, after the discharge, Navient will update the tradeline and bring it to open status. That makes sense since I can see my loan details, make payment etc on Navient website, though they have put my account on forebearance for a year with no payment due at this time.

This.

If you do not initiate a seperate proceeding to obtain a discharge on your student loan debt, then your obligation to repay student loans will not be discharged. They only suspend reporting to your credit report in an attempt to comply with the automatic stay that prevents collection of debts. It is generally considered that reporting balances/payments on credit reports is considered an attempt to collect a debt.

Message 3 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I agree with poster above...

You had to have gone thru a separate channel to have your student loans discharged. I tried to get mine DC'ed in my BK and the trustee denied it.

Right after my filing, my loans also showed $0 ball/IIB, but when I got my DC, my loans were then again reverted back to current/paid status, and the new payment agreed upon showing.

More than likely yours will revert back as well after the DC, and you will need to contact them.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loans were wiped out it seems during my bankruptcy....is the true and will it remain? Or will they appear back in the future....just trying to figure this out
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed you made this post in early 2018. Is this still the case for you
Message 6 of 13
Jms2687
Valued Member

OFF TOPIC.. how do you get your siggy to be like that, mine are all spaced and on top of each other haha.... Newbie 

THanks 

Pre BK 10/2018
Post BK08/14/2020

Message 7 of 13
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Same with mine, but it shows on my credit report they are just in forebearance until February 2019.

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My attorney told me that there’s no way in hell my private loan is getting discharged, and I don’t want it discharged anyway because my dad is a co-signer and they’d come after him for the money but she said some term I don’t remember that I have a change of getting my federal loan discharged. It’s not a ton of money, it’s like $2,500, but hey if it can get discharged that’s still an extra $2,500 I don’t have to pay.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in almost the exact situation my mom is the co-signer and still owe about $2,500. We filed Chapter 7 about 4-5 years ago and the loan couldn't be discharged. What I can't figure out though is when I log in to my account it shows the balance due of $2,500 but also shows no payment due. I don't know if it's because if the lawsuit against them or not.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.