Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submitted an apartment application today

tag
Randi1009
Established Member

Submitted an apartment application today

For anyone who's had to find an apartment after bankruptcy, how did that go? I've been looking for a couple of weeks and finally put in an application today for one I liked but now I'm nervous they will deny me. They said as long as the bankruptcy isn't open I could apply so I'm hoping they will still see my perfect rental history and employment and maybe just charge me the high end for the deposit. I know the bankruptcy will follow me around for years to come but I hate this feeling when I have to submit credit applications for things. I had the same bad feeling car shopping.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Submitted an apartment application today

I've seen stories of it going both ways honestly. A little after 1 year I had no problems being approved for a luxury apartment home at the best terms.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

We went through it a couple of months ago. I told the leasing rep at our first choice about our BK, he said it shouldn't be a problem, but they auto-declined it because of the BK. Was a little upset at that because it cost us an HP and the fee to run our credit. If it was going to be an auto-decline, why even run it. I disclosed everything up front and on the app. 

Anyway, went to our second choice. They also declined us at first, but our leasing rep appreciated the fact that we had everything together and made it easy for her to do her job (had all of our proof of income, etc to where everything was in place in the app.) She went to her district manager and they approved us with a 1 month risk fee. It cost us a little more, but we got in.

The advice I give you and anyone in our circumstances is 1) have a backup plan. If the one you fall in love with says no, have something else you can go with. 2) Find a private party lease if you can. Sometimes it can be easier to deal with someone in person rather than a faceless corporation.

Good luck! I hope you get in.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

not to discourage you, but i have applied at two places. The landlord chose someone else both times. I live in socsl though, there is usually 3-5 applicants per apt.   This sucks lol 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

not to discourage you, but i have applied at two places. The landlord chose someone else both times. I live in socsl though, there is usually 3-5 applicants per apt.   This sucks lol 

Keep your head up. You will find a place eventually. Good luck!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have applied at 3 different apartments and lived at two with my Bk still reporting the first one no problem regular security deposit lived there 10 months. When looking for a new apt I applied at a luxury apt there application automatically ask if you have filed Bk of course being honest I said yes and the leading manger said it would be an extra 400 on top of the 300 security deposit before I made a decision I decided to try at one other luxury apts I liked and it was the standard 200 deposit! So there is hope and you can find a great apt not all places punish you.
Message 6 of 13
Luvan_Lyfe
Established Member

I was discharged 1/13/2014 and I applied through a property management company to rent a house (The American Home). It was my only choice. I was approved 10/2014 with a standard deposit equal to the rent. I found out within a week that I was approved and they ran my credit as well (Soft Inquiry) I told them about the BK, they said as long as it was Discharged with no other negatives, I would be approved. I did an 18 month lease and received 500.00 off my first months rent. We just made a year living here and I have a perfect rental history. We are buying our first home in 2016 when my discharge is 2 years old. I am working with a Lender right now for approval. Im only 10 points away from 640 credit score to qualify for the Down Payment Assistance grant as well.

Message 7 of 13
jim44
Established Contributor

@Randi1009 wrote:
For anyone who's had to find an apartment after bankruptcy, how did that go? I've been looking for a couple of weeks and finally put in an application today for one I liked but now I'm nervous they will deny me. They said as long as the bankruptcy isn't open I could apply so I'm hoping they will still see my perfect rental history and employment and maybe just charge me the high end for the deposit. I know the bankruptcy will follow me around for years to come but I hate this feeling when I have to submit credit applications for things. I had the same bad feeling car shopping.

Keep your head up... you'd be surprised how many rental companies and management companies will approve with a BK.  I found a rental through a management company during the short sale of my condo.  My CH showed over 120 days past due on both mortgages. The manager explained they we starting to see a lot of people in my situation because of the recession and housing bubble burst.  I also rented an apartment when I filed....prior to discharge... again the rental company manager explained they were receiving a ton of applicants in a similar situation as mine.  Both rental agreements were standard.. I didn't pay an extras because of my BK or credit history.  Best of luck! 

Message 8 of 13
Randi1009
Established Member

Just wanted to give an update. My application was approved and it gets better...I only have to pay the minimum deposit. I was scared if I was approved at all they would make me pay the higher deposit. It's a huge relief. I was really nervous I was going to have to submit multiple applications and have to keep explaining my bankruptcy over and over trying to find someone to rent to me.
Message 9 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Randi1009 wrote:
Just wanted to give an update. My application was approved and it gets better...I only have to pay the minimum deposit. I was scared if I was approved at all they would make me pay the higher deposit. It's a huge relief. I was really nervous I was going to have to submit multiple applications and have to keep explaining my bankruptcy over and over trying to find someone to rent to me.

Awesome news! Congrats on the new place Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.